SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Which Version of Java Should I Install ?

(5 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Straspey
  • Latest reply from Lighthouse
  • Topic Viewed 335 times

Straspey
Straspey

Hi everybody. I need a little help with Java:

There's a new update of Java Runtime Environment (JRE) released today, and I have a question regarding which update I should be installing on my system.

I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

It seems that I've always used the normal, 32-bit version ,i586 - with no problems. But I noticed that there is also a 64-bit version as well - x64.

I've downloaded both installation packages and would greatly appreciate any guidance and suggestions regarding which one I should install.

Thanks !

Posted 1 year ago

jmeeks49
jmeeks49

Straspey,

I ran the 64 bit on both of my desktop and my laptop. Unless you are going to sites that require java runtime i wouldn't even worry about it. You don't even need java in most cases.

John

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

http://www.howtogeek.com/12293.....heres-how/

Posted 1 year ago

Straspey
Straspey

I use Firefox as my primary browser and run the very powerful "NoScript" add-on, which disables Java by default on any websites I visit.

Many times, I see a message at the top of a web page warning me that I must enable Java to receive the "full benefits" of their site - but I almost always ignore that.

Still - I would be interested to know if I should update to the 64-bit version, or simply continue with the 32-bit version which I've always used.

Thanks again.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

The latest version. But only if you really need it.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!