SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

(Solved) - Which operating system do geeks prefer?

(50 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Raffyb
  • Latest reply from pbureau
  • Topic Viewed 1936 times

germ-x
germ-x

Different toys for different people.
Do you like to drive an automatic or standard shift in city traffic, think about that one for a while. Windows7 is the automatic and Linux is the standard shift.

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

Good comparison.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

I used to prefer a standard shift - had both automatic and standard since 1964. But now at my age I prefer an automatic. Just traded my last standard for an automatic. So preferences can change over time.

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

City traffic does make a difference on which I would choose.

Posted 1 year ago

hArLtRoN
hArLtRoN

I mainly use Windows 7 but I am starting to venture into the world that is Linux. At the moment I am seeing what distribution I like best.

I currently have Linux Mint installed on my home PC.

My school has Ubuntu installed on the netbooks and I like what I am able to get into on them. The account students have to use are non admin for obvious reasons.

So far I'm liking Linux Mint the best. I am going to try Kubuntu next.

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

People like to travel the path of least resistance and that's why Windows is number one! Linux needs .exe files, or similar, to have any hope of grabbing more market share but it won't be allowed because it makes the system more vulnerable...that's why you can't just get stuff and run it.

Posted 1 year ago

owen123
owen123

I Like Windows, mainly XP and 7 (Hate Vista), and Windows 8 is growing on me. Windows is good for everything, but given a money no object choice, I would pick Mac, just because in my experience it is quicker, nicer to look at, and requires low maintenance.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Anything that works for me. Prefer Vista, and 3 different versions of MSdos.

Posted 1 year ago

jmeeks49
jmeeks49

Showing your age LH? :-) Dos is ok been reluctant to get back in to it always have wanted to ahhh yes!!!! i remember running a bulletin board back in the day fun times.

John

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

Personally, I cotton to the old adage that your first is your best. Therefore, I vote for the Borroughs B5500 MCP (Master Control Program)

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

John, you're giving your age away. ; )

I went from my Commodore 64 to mainframe terminals at work (the "software) was preset for us for data retrieval only), NT at work, then XP, first at work, then at home. I liked the mainframe terminal keyboards (nothing else). NT was a dozer. Eventually liked XP. Skipped Vista for good reason. Loved Win7 from the word go when I first got it last summer (still learning to use it). Have no intention of using Win8.

But, then again, I'm not exactly a geek (not even a wannabe).

Posted 1 year ago

Drizzle
Drizzle

Like LH,as long as it does the job 'whatever',
Why all the dislike 'Vista' ?
I love it and no intention unless forced to win7 and up.....but then again what does granny know :):)

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

Vista was a resource hog, klunky to use, and many programs and hardware wouldn't work on it (the latter was it's biggest sin for me—I would have had to replace a scanner, laser printer, and an expensive music notation program—although, supposedly, much of the other two sins had been corrected by SP1).

If you are happy with Vista, then stay with it (like I did with XP; I've only recently started using Win7); there's nothing wrong with that. EOL for Vista isn't until 4/11/2017 so you have some breathing room.

"...what does Granny know?" More than I do!

Posted 1 year ago

djhull3917

windows 7, 8 defo, however i do like linux distros for programming c++ etc as the compilers are pretty nice, however day to day use and web programming etc defo win 7!/8

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

LF, Vista is not a resource hog (especially if you configure it correctly (and I run very low end systems))
Not had a problem with programs or drivers either.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

LF, I agree with LH. Vista is a great system. Once SP1 was installed, I never had any problems. And even before that, there was very little to complain. And I started with Vista on the first day (Febr.1, 2007).

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

Vista was sound when I had it reliability and function-wise. It's just a bit slower than W7 overall...only bad running on a gig ram or less. When Vista came out it was too often rolled out with systems that only had 1 gig ram and that was too low for it and hence gave it a bad rep. W7 has not suffered this because 2 gig is the minimum now in a budget system which is fine.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

So true Tony. An update to 2GB worked wonders.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

I remember that lady from Portugal that came here to seek advice on a terrible performance problem. They had sold her a Vista Ultimate laptop with 512MB. - There are bad sales people all over the world. LH may remember that one too.

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

LH

That's the crux of why Vista failed so spectacularly imo. 2gig hadn't become the budget-system standard when Vista came out. Remember, it was coming from XP where a gig was plenty and vendors didn't catch on and adapt quick enough to the heavier memory requirements of the then new Vista.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!