Maybe it's a geek thing..

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

whats that supposed to mean

Posted 6 years ago

mpc104
mpc104

i like vista over xp to me vista looks and works better.in my opinion the ones having vista problems are those who upgraded from xp to vista. pc's pre-installed with vista like mine very few problems,most of my problems were caused by me.in about 3 years we will having the same discussion about windows 7.

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

Yep. I know when Windows XP came people where talking about how Windows 2000 was better and some people going back to it.

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

i never even used 2000 just went from 98 to xp

Posted 6 years ago

Budohorseman
Budohorseman

I'm perfectly happy on Windows 3.11 and plan to stay here until Windows 9

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

I've still got 3.1 on my other laptop (mostly use msdos 6.2 though)

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

@Lighthouse, "The Vista guys need more "guidance" - by that I meant the people asking Vista questions are often new to Vista and you have to go thru several iterations to get the point across. The XP people on the other hand know their way around the OS and a short answer usually suffices.

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Ah thanks whs, now j'compris

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

http://www.computerworld.com/a.....Id=9075000

Interesting quotes:

Now, it's true that for the moment, Windows XP is superior to Vista when it comes to software compatibility. But that won't last long. The best and newest software will be built for Vista, not XP. So if you want to look to the future, not the past, Vista is the way to go.

Windows XP? It's cartoonish and gauche compared with Vista, plus it lacks Vista's security, fit and polish, and extras. It's also looking backward, rather than forward. I have a dual-boot Vista/XP laptop, and every time I boot into XP instead of Vista, I cringe at what faces me.

Quick Poll:

Linux 29% (2313 votes)

Mac OS X Leopard 29% (2299 votes)

Windows Vista 15% (1214 votes)

Windows XP 24% (1883 votes)

Other: 2% (189 votes)

TOTAL VOTES: 7898

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

so it looks like linux takes the top it is surly the best os out there custumize custumize custumize
and it's free woot

Posted 6 years ago

pipo
pipo

"well usually you don't try to crash a pc"

i beg to differ, back in college, we had a "PC Setup Show," where everyone brought the computers that they "set-up", some of the owners challenged everyone to crash their PCs

i was just drooling at the back while watching their PCs

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

I have Vista on my new system, XP on the older ones. Both OSes are good to me.

I'm curious, though, about a comment whs made back near the beginning of this thread. That for a new system with a Core2 CPU and >= 2GB memory, Vista is recommended. Is there any special advantage to Vista based on the latest hardware? Is Vista better at supporting dual- or quad-core CPUs?

My Dad and I are planning a build soon and we will be using new parts, Yorksfield QC, X38 chipset, DDR2 memory, and so on. Thing is that Dad is an XP holdout and I'm wondering if we will lose any function or performance with XP (Pro)?

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

i don't really think so and whs said that because vista really can't run on anything less than 2 gb's so if you have less than that it is good to stay with xp

Posted 6 years ago

pipo
pipo

i think what whs meant about the 2GB RAM is that it would make ur vista run smoother, you can run vista with 512 RAM, but it'll be slow as a snail.

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

@ScottW, You touch on a couple of subjects:
1. XP versus Vista - There is no "good" or "bad" here. It depends on the flavour you like. I suggest you read my last post above, including what the "fans" say on the link - it is interesting. I think Vista is much more elegant and easier. But that's in the eyes of the beholder.
2. Storage requirements for Vista - I had a 1GB, a 2GB and a 3GB machine running side by side. Vista ran on all three machines, but I quickly upgraded the 1GB machine to 2GB because it was so very, very slow. I remember a lady from Portugal on this Forum that was running Ultimate on a 512MB machine - and then she was bitterly complaining about lack of performance - no wonder. For myself I have made 2GB the minimum although I prefer 3GB. On my sidebar CPU meter I can always see the memory usage. It has been up to 58% (on the 3GB machine). If that was on 1GB, it would be paging all the time - very slow. Compare the memory access times with the disk access times and you can guess for yourself (about a factor 100, I think).
3. On the question of duo core versus quad core I have no own experience because all my processors are duo. I would think that for normal vanilla tasks, there is not too much to be gained with a quad core. But for heavy loads, that would certainly be an advantage. And for the future Windows7, that is the thing to have (as far as I understand the Windows7 architecture). My next system will be a quad, but only in combination with an SSD. I guess I still have to wait for a little while.
4. If your dad is building a new PC, why does he not look into DDR3 memory.

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

@pipo ya i know i was just saying that to have vista run nice 2gb is a good number to have

Posted 6 years ago

Smashpmk712
Smashpmk712

@WHS, I normally don't say this but nice post! It was really clear and straight to it ....

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

@smash, thanks for the "flowers" (old German saying)

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!