The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Which is better .zip or .rar

(16 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by Br3ndanK
  • Latest reply from jd2066
  • Topic Viewed 21036 times

Br3ndanK

I hope I can ask here this, if not Mr. Moderator, delete it please. I want to know which decompresor is better the .ZIP or .RAR. I will apreciate your advises. I'm using Vista Premium. Thanks for your help and sugestions..
BK.

Posted 5 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

Almost every application or OS can work with .zip files, so they are much more portable... you can be safe to send a zip file to a friend, for instance.

Rar has better compression, but you need another utility like WinRar or the free 7-zip to use them. You wouldn't want to send a rar file to a friend unless you were sure they could use them.

Posted 5 years ago

Br3ndanK

Ohhh, Thanks for your advise The Geek. I will use the .zip, I think is less ccomplicate for me. Thank you again and for you and for all in HTG HAPPY THANKSGIVING DAY!!!!!!
BK.

Posted 5 years ago

TheShadow
TheShadow

Actually .7z is much less complicated.

After years of fussing with WinZip, my software guru put me on to 7Zip.

And after trying it, I promptly DE-installed WinZip.

Give 7Zip a try. I think you'll like its effectiveness and simplicity.
It will unzip files created with most other compression programs.

http://www.7-zip.org/

This is my Thanksgiving gift to y'alls.

Blessings!

The Shadow :)

Posted 5 years ago

Br3ndanK

TheShadow, thanks for your advise too. I will give it a try, .7z. I don't know much about this, but I will learn from your experiences...Thanks.BK.

Posted 5 years ago

LH
LH

And to add to your list. I use this one.
http://www.filehippo.com/downl.....ctor/4795/

Posted 5 years ago

Br3ndanK

Thanks you too. I will take a look. One question? Can I use both of them or only one? Thanks again,,BK.

Posted 5 years ago

LH
LH

Well, I normally would try every one, and see which you like.

Posted 5 years ago

jmcguire
jmcguire

I actually use Zip Genius. It has a nice integration into the right-click menu. (Windows)

To answer your original question though, I have to agree with The Geek. If the file being universal is needed, .zip will be your best. If you are zipping it for your own purposes, .rar will be better.

I agree with TheShadow though, if you include all formats, 7z has the best compression ratio.

Posted 5 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

And some other nice ones (the ones I use) are:
ExtractNow
and
IZarc.

Both are very nice if you want to unzip a whole folder full of zipped files.

Cheers,
Sarah.

Posted 5 years ago

Br3ndanK

Ohhh,,Thanks LH, jmcguire, SaraJames..I have a lot of work with your advises, I will try and follow all your advises. But jmcguire is correct, I need for universal things,, I mean like emails...some like that. Then .zip is the best choise for me. I will try the extract now too SarahJames. Be patience with me,, I'm only 14 and i'm a bit lost about compressors files..I apreciate all your advises guys...BK.

Posted 5 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

Take your time and if you can't figure something out, just post back here:)
Nothing wrong with being 14!

Best wishes,
Sarah.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

BK, while there are some compression formats that are faster or compress harder, you can't beat ZIP for universal compatibility. Also, ZIP support is built in to Windows XP and Vista, so if you aren't trying anything fancy, you can just compress and uncompress files and folders in Windows Explorer.

There are lots of nifty 3rd party utilities, as listed above, but it's overkill for most users.

Posted 5 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

If you are only compressing files for your own use, 7-zip or Rar are excellent choices... my point was that if you want cross-platform compatibility that works with any OS or any user, go with plain old Zip, which works perfectly fine.

It's not like disk space is a big problem these days anyway.

Edit: Personally I use 7-Zip for Windows, but I typically only compress to zip when I'm distributing files for HTG articles, for instance. I use .tar.gz most of the time on my Linux boxes.

Posted 5 years ago

Br3ndanK

Hi, ScottW and The Geek.. I tried .zip to send some emails and is working fine. Thanks for your incredible help. Another doubt,,if I use .zip, I don't need 7-zip? Thanks again..BK.

Posted 5 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

If you use normal zip files then you don't need any other program like 7-zip.
If you want things like password protected zip files then you will need a program like 7-zip.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!