The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Wheres da' Driver?

(6 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by mayagrafix
  • Latest reply from ispalten
  • Topic Viewed 413 times

mayagrafix

Im trying to install Win7 but the installer asks for CD/DVD driver. I dowloaded from Dell all the drivers for this box, in particular the driver for CD/DVD (Removable Storage:TSST TS-H653J 16X DVD+/-RW SATA HH Firmware). But when I open the folder, all I see is this "Flash Dowload for Windows" app that besides wont do anything because it cant find the F/W file.

What gives? any suggestions? can I just find the drivers in the Windows OS folder and copy them? I have Vista running on this box for the moment but want to upgrade to Win7.

Posted 1 year ago

warlock

@mayagrafix, The drivers I believe are installed after the operating system. If you read the bottom portion of the flash download you posted, it is not finished yet.

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten

Upgrading should not be a problem? I did that with my Dell when I went from Vista to W7. Even if it did ask you could always point to the folder, probably the BIN file I would assume?

Only problem you'd really have is IF you are using the DVD drive for the install. In that case the driver must exist, but even then, the OS would probably load its default driver.

Copy the BIN file, I doubt it. Why? Because TSDNWIN is the s/w to FLASH the DVD BIOS, not the driver. What link from Dell did you use?

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

mayagrafix

I used my service tag number to get to the page and downloaded the drivers Dell offered me for this box.

Traditionally the drivers go after the OS install but this time the MS Win7 install program, once the install begins, is asking for the CD/DVD driver before continuing with the install, and all I need is the driver for this bee-ach to get me to second base >:-(

So where would I find the CD/DVD driver file in the OS that the PC has running presently?

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse

I have a feeling that that drive uses an MS driver. Have a look in Device Manager, properties for the device. What does it tell you ?

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten

That image you posted is not from the W7 install, is it? What it seems to be to me is from the Dell d/l install which is for the firmware because that is what TSDNWIN is.

This LINK is the instruction for the install, and would never appear in the W7 install.

Another LINK to pick up the file from Dell.

From DELL'S SITE for the file, this IS NOT a driver!!

================
Description
Firmware for TSST TS-H653J 16X DVD+/-RW SATA HH
================

Now it is possible with the OLDER driver (you CAN check via DEVICE MANAGER or SYSTEM INFORMATION what you now have) W7 can't recognize the device and wants a driver for it. If this were the case in Vista update the FIRMWARE. Still, I don't think this is needed.

My W8 system uses MS's CDROM.SYS to access BOTH of my DVD's, one a TSST one. Under Device Manager for the drive in Vista I suspect you'd see the same? There are 2 other drivers with it, one for GEAR and another ASPI as my DVD's are IDE, yours is probably SATA I assume, but I think it uses the same base drivers.

So that leads to the install media? Are you installing via a DVD on that same drive? Is this an 'official' W7 that you got from MS or an ISO you burned (assuming it isn't a CRACKED ISO)? If you burned the ISO, try re-making the DVD, you could have had a failure, matter of fact, get the ISO again as well. If it is an official MS DVD, check the DVD surface to make sure it isn't clean or scratched.

Like I said, your screenshot was not from the install. If you have a digital camera you can capture the actual fail dialog box and that might help us.

On your screenshot above all you should have needed to do was check the box for the file and then it should have appeared below in the F/W File box and you should have been able to install it? Also, if that failed, check the cable for the drive, it might be loose on some pins causing the problem.

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.