SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Where to get forum code which is similar to How-To Geek's forum. Please Help..

(6 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by salman
  • Latest reply from jd2066
  • Topic Viewed 1122 times

salman

Hi

I am planning to launch a forum very soon and I am looking for a forum which is similar to this forum itself. I have been running a blog for last 1 year and I know enough php CSS html etc.

Could someone please tell me where to get a forum which is like this one. I want a forum which is very very simple with looks.

Please help..

Thank you

Posted 6 years ago

The Geek

This forum is based on bbPress, but it's running a slightly customized theme and I've had to hack it to get even the small amount of functionality that we have.

I would not use bbPress, however... the tools are very lacking and it's difficult to get running correctly in the first place. The only reason I used it was for the integration with wordpress.

I would use vbulletin, phpbb, or one of the other php-based forums, and then change the skin to be more simplistic.

Posted 6 years ago

salman

Thanx for the reply..

I am planning to use the forum for my project (but got no time to code it)

so I need a forum with very simple looks and no complexities.

something like http://www.labnol.org/forums

could you please help me get the code of such a forum??

please?

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066

That forum looks like bbPress too.
As bbPress is not a good option for the reasons the geek listed above I would recommend looking at http://www.forummatrix.org
It lists the features of a bunch of forum software.
You can use the choice wizard and/or search to narrow it down to what you need.
I have tried both phpBB and SMF.
They are fairly easy to install and use.
No forum will be a "set it and forget it" type of deal if that's what you mean by simple and no complexities.
You will still have to do management tasks like post moderation, database backups and software upgrades.

Posted 6 years ago

salman

I know I will have to be in touch with the forum every time. I am ready to do moderation backups etc regularly. I have been a blogger for more then a year and I am good at this stuff.

By simple I mean a forum whose code is easily understandable. Like when I downloaded vanilla forum the code was soo heavy. I have to use the forum for my project and I got no time to dive into the heavy coding. Thats why I wanted something which has less coding and easy coding..

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066

If you pick a forum like SMF that is easy to install and use then you shouldn't need to do any coding unless you want to make it fit the design of your site and for that you usually just need to edit code of the skin template files which shouldn't be to hard.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.