SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Linux

Where to download Linux desktop gadgets?

(9 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by tech27
  • Latest reply from Superevil
  • Topic Viewed 2376 times

tech27
tech27

Hello, I'm using Ubuntu 12.04 and I just wanna know where to download 'desktop gadgets' like the one on Windows7. I want to have the CPU and RAM meter like on W7. Any suggestions where and how ?

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi
Xhi

http://www.google.com/search?s.....op+gadgets

Posted 2 years ago

tech27
tech27

Is it okay? because it says : This project is still in development stage, many bugs are not fixed or found yet. Feel free to submit bug reports if you find them
sorry for being ignorant. I'm really new to Linux.

Posted 2 years ago

tech27
tech27

Hmmm.. does it have the CPU/RAM meter gadget? Because I can only see a 'weather,clock,calculator,picture and time/date' gadget.

Posted 2 years ago

vistamike
vistamike

'This project is still in development stage' as is Linux. Linux is a very different environment from Windows.
As in Windows, a gadget may become unusable after an update for instance because they are created by outside developers/communities.
It is not Microsoft who has to correct a 'gadget' problem.

It really is a case experimenting and report back to the developer who may then do additional work, based on your problem.

Mike

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi
Xhi

"Is it ok?" you mean Are they OK. My link was a Google search of hundreds of places to find Linux gadgets. You need to try them and see. As Vistamike says you are in a new world now. Get into tinker mode. Try this, try that, decide what you like.

Posted 2 years ago

minigeek
minigeek

I'm not into the world of Linux customisation, but I've always heard good things about conky:

http://conky.sourceforge.net/

MiniGeek

Posted 2 years ago

edmenje
edmenje

I use conky on my various machines running xubuntu. A steep learning curve to set up, but by now I've managed to make a few different versions of it, one as a horizontal strip on my netbook (an autohiding panel covers it when needed so the screen real estate hit is minimized) and vertical setups on desktop and laptop. I'm not sure how it would integrate with Unity desktop in Ubuntu, but works fine in Gnome and Xfce4 for me. Once you learn to edit the conky.conf file confortably it is highly customizable.

Posted 2 years ago

Superevil
Superevil

Do a search in the software store for Screenlets. I used to use them with 9.04, not sure if it's still available

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.