The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

Where is the set association control panel

(12 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by hagerman26
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 34134 times

hagerman26

I have a new computer with that delightful Vista installed. I received an email, with a word attachment. When I try to open the attachment, I got a error message "This file does not have an association with it, create an association in the Set Association Control Panel." Where is tha?

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

If it is a WORD document, you need WORD to open it. Do you have that installed?

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

If you have WORD, Try this:

Go to Default Programs, which you can reach either
from the Start menu or the Control Panel, then click on:
"Associate a file type..."

The other way to do this is to save the attachment, then
right-click on the saved file, select Open With...
The rest is self-explanatory. The selection you make should stick,
so that from then on the file extension is properly associated.

Posted 6 years ago

AnnePer

I have the same problem and when I followed the dirctions to get to the "Associate a file type. . ." I found that the Word was already entered as the file associated with opening a .doc file (not surprising). The only way I could open the file was to save it and then it opened just fine. Why is this necessary? Is it just another glitch in Vista? I find it very annoying.

Posted 5 years ago

Spacegold
Spacegold

I had to change some associations recently, and typing "extensions" in the Control Panel search feature took me right to the spot. Interestingly "association" did not.

Posted 5 years ago

Spacegold
Spacegold

I don't seem to have a .doc file to try it with, but is not Wordpad supposed to open a readable version of a .doc if you don't have Word? I seem to recall doing that with a file sent to me for review by a writer friend. There was a lot of garbage at both endes, but the message was intact.

Posted 5 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

@ Spacegold - if you don't have Word you can download a free Wordviewer from Microsoft.
I did something similar for docx files, because I still work with Word 97 :)

Cheers,
Sarah.

Posted 5 years ago

drifta
drifta

you can also get a free version at openoffice.org that replicates the tasks of word

Posted 5 years ago

Spacegold
Spacegold

Wow, that's an oldie, Sarah. I am surprised that it works with files from later versions. Office has a number of backward compatibility issues.

Posted 5 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

Sure is Spacegold, but it is a legal registered version and it works, so what more do we need?
Only the HP printer has a driver issue with Office that old, so I print to pdf and then I print the pdf.
But I can work with docx and docm files now (or at least open them properly), because of some add-on I downloaded for free from MS.

Cheers,
Sarah.

Posted 5 years ago

heungbo

"This file does not have an association with it, create an association in the Set Association Control Panel." Where is tha?

Go to Control Panel, Default Programs, and finally Set Associations. Scroll down to your to the file type and click on it to change it. Good Luck.

Posted 4 years ago

whs
whs

LOL, let's hope the OP is still alive.

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!