The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

WhatTablet would you recommend?

(10 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by coopaloop
  • Latest reply from coopaloop
  • Topic Viewed 457 times

coopaloop

I want to buy my first tablet but there are so many that I can't decide whose to purchase. There's safety in numbers so I'm relying on all of you fine folks to guide me!

All I really want to do initially is web-browse at faster speeds than I do now. I have a powerful desk-top and laptop with Windows 7 for any actual computing needs. The 15.6" laptop is too bulky to lug around to hot-spots. I've seen various tablets and like their resolution, speed, touch-screen capability, and ease of transport. Of course, as I become more proficient with the other features of the tablet I will gladly use them. I gotta get with the touch-screen movement anyway and use all them apps.! What to do??

Are any of the off-brand, less expensive tablets worth it, or should I only go with Apple, Samsung, etc.? I'm o.k. with a 10" screen. How many gigs do I need to start? Do I need one that can expand the memory and why?

Your help is greatly appreciated, just remember that I know just enough about computers to be dangerous to myself. Please don't swamp me with a device way beyond my capability.

Thanks!!

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

I use and enjoy my Acer Iconia Tab A500.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

I just got a Nexus 7. Price starts at $199 ($249 for the 32GB model). It works great. You have to get used to Android though. But for transportability it cannot be beat.

But what makes you think that web browsing would be faster than on a PC. That is mostely a function of the line speed.

Posted 1 year ago

afuhnk
afuhnk

Windows RT tablets are fast and awesome.
Otherwise, as whs mentionned, the Nexus 7 is also great, although smaller (bought one for my GF and she's very happy with it).
I personally have the Samsung Galaxy Tab (1). It works ok but not as great as the newer models (Galaxy Tab 2 or NExus 7 or any of the other lastest tablets).

Posted 1 year ago

coopaloop

I'm takin' in all you folks are giving me and I appreciate it. I've looked at the Nexus & Galaxy tablets & the Nooks, and a couple people I know have Apples. All are awesome devices.

@whs - As compared to my laptops the tablets I've seen sure seem to be faster. I sittin' here with a mouse (the thing connected to my computer, that is) and I can't go from site to site as fast as those tablet-guys do. Granted, my little 10" "netbook"(??), w the atom processor, is no match for most any new technology, but it's size is a real plus, that's why I use it most often on the road to surf. My powerful laptop is bulky and heavy and not to my liking away from the house. Major drawbacks with both are battery usage, speed, the mouse-thing, and the dull-looking screen, as compared to the new tablets.

@Xhi - I'm gonna look at the Acer asap, based particularly on your status as a guest-moderator. That indicates to me that you gotta know something about these things. Your avatar doesn't look very geeky to me, but hey, looks can be deceiving! Just joking!

Everyone - I definitely don't wanna go off the deep-end on a $600+ Apple laptop. Rather waste that kind of money on my boat. I'm not a "gamer", facebooker, etc., I just want to surf the net as easily as possible and carry as light a load as possible. All those apps available at the touch of a finger is pretty intriguing. Your help is much appreciated. Any other tips are more than welcome!

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

For your type application, you might want to consider a 10" Nexus with a keyboard/sleeve like this. Typing on the on-screen keyboard is no fun.

Those sleeves exist for the 7" too, but I would think that they are a bit small and very finagle.

Posted 1 year ago

coopaloop

Thanks, whs! 16,500 posts....good grief....you are the "man!!" What do you think about the new Chromebook? That's got my attention too. It's totally designed for surfing and it's only $250 and needs no accessories. I could also pickup a good 7" touch-screen for around $180 and be in less than the cost of an Ipad and have the best of both worlds. "Momma" could carry the tablet in her gunny-sack purse with the rest our household possessions when we're on the road. Sound like a plan to you??

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

I would not go out of my way and buy an exotic device. Reason I suggested the Nexus is that there are a LOT of people using it now and when you get stuck, you can find enough help. Because regardless how much computer experience you have, Android is a new world and it is an uphill battle at first. So any help counts.

Here is an excellent forum you might want to check out: Androidforums.com

Posted 1 year ago

bivent

All my stuff is windows, desktop, laptop, netbook, phone etc and all interconnected through W7 soon to be W8
I just purchased a Lenova X61 Tablet (off lease) with an optional docking station (for DVD etc) for around $280 all up, has Windows 7, although a bit heavier than some true tablets as it has a "real keyboard" it's more like a netbook but the screen rotates and folds down.
This gives me all my desktop/laptop programs and gives me full sync capabilities for data and messaging through outlook.com and skydrive for data and remote access for the things I forget to sync and I didn't need to learn a new OS.
Reason for the long "what I did" - you need to decide why you want the tablet and what you want to achieve with it - once you answer those 2 questions then you'll probably find that your options get shortened for your final decision.

Posted 1 year ago

coopaloop

Thanks bivent - With everyone's help I can see that I have some more homework to do. Never heard of the Lenova X61 so I'm gonna look it up asap.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!