SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

What's the "FACTORY_IMAGE" partition on my HP Computer?

(5 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by lownoter
  • Latest reply from jd2066
  • Topic Viewed 7737 times

lownoter

Primarily, I'd like to know if I can change the drive letter assignment for that "FACTORY_IMAGE" partition that HP set up on my hard drive without voiding any warranties, 'causing any serious problems, or upsetting any of the extremely "helpful" people over at HP Technical Support.

I'd like to check out the How-To Geek's instuction's on how to "Install Windows XP on [my] Pre-Installed Windows Vista Computer" but I feel the XP volume should immediately follow the Vista volume (by drive letter) and that the "FACTORY_IMAGE" partition (if even necessary) -along with the drive letters assigned to the endless number of memory card slots that I'll prob'ly NEVER use- should bring up the rear. (Oh, BTW... I also feel the bath towels should be folded to the right -in thirds- and hung at 3/4" intervals on the towel bar. =)

(Hmm... did I take my meds today?)

Thanks to anyone.

Posted 6 years ago

Scott
Scott

I'm channeling Freud right now

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

What CD/DVDs came with the computer?

Posted 6 years ago

lownoter

I got NOTHIN' by way of OS discs... just applications: Office, Photoshop, etc.

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

Just changing the drive letter shouldn't cause any problems, in fact I think you can remove the drive letter for the recovery partition without problems as drive letter assignments are a per OS thing. When you boot from the recovery partition it should have the correct assignment.
Note: This is how I think it is. I have never tested restoring with a recovery partition when the drive letter is gone on one OS.

You should be able to burn a recovery disc first just in case.
In the start menu just type rec in the search box and click the recovery wizard or similar.
If you can burn a disc then you won't need a recovery partition at all.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.