(Solved) - whats the different between Notebook and laptop

(8 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by yahyazahedi
  • Latest reply from owen123
  • Topic Viewed 1601 times

yahyazahedi
yahyazahedi

hi
whats the different between Notebook and laptop,which one is better ?

Posted 2 years ago

vistamike
vistamike

Very good question and can be very confusing to the consumer.

As we know it, a laptop can be defined as a Desktop put into a confined but useable space, hence the term 'laptop'. Nowadays many laptops perform as well as the old tower shoved under the desk. The performance relates to the money you put into the machine.
A laptop sits....on your lap, so we would believe. Modern laptops require efficient cooling so bunging on your lap, your sofa or your bed whilst using is not a very good idea.
Laptop screen sizes can emulate a pretty good visual aspect. Most are 15.6" to 17" widescreen displays. Great for Spreadsheet, wordprocessing and picture editing.
The idea of the laptop was to make it portable originally but times have changed. Your laptop now probably has more processing power (dual core etc), HDD space and ram than your old Desktop!
So the laptop has come of age and in many cases replaces the tower.

However, the nomenclature 'Notebook / Netbook', has quite different meanings.

In most cases a notebook is a 'pocket' version of the above. The processor may be single core and the ram limited to perhaps 1gb ram. The operating system will or might be a cut down version of windows, like Win 7 'Starter' or perhaps xp. Some are linux based.

A netbook / notebook will have the OS, a browser and perhaps a limited amount of software but usually an Office program of sorts will be available. It will have a wireless card allowing access to the internet and email obviously.
A netbook / notebook will have normally a 10" screen.
It will have a limited HDD space. (not a prob, because you will have a usb drive hopefully)
As a tool, the netbook should be able to keep you going on the run. Don't expect much more from it because it is almost impossible to upgrade anything other than the ram. Gaming and the like is just not possible to be sure.

What you have to decide is how you are going to use your final choice of machine.

Which one is better is really a matter of choice.

Mike

Accepted Answer · Posted 2 years ago

yahyazahedi
yahyazahedi

thanks Mike

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi
Xhi

I did not see if Mike mentioned it or not, but another big difference is that a netbook does not have a CD/DVD drive. Everything that is to be done with a removable has to be done with a flash drive or a separate USB CD/DVD drive.

However it turns out that it is just the thing the Chefkat likes to lay in her recliner and do her Bible Study and read the local on-line version of the newspaper at night.

Posted 2 years ago

owen123
owen123

@ Mike

Just as a point is a note-book not the same as a laptop, My Samsung R519, 4GB Ram, 250GB HDD, 15.6, Pentium R, is classed as a note-book.

I think they call laptops note-books just to fool the consumer into buying a note-book to replace their laptop. Have a look at this

Owen

Posted 2 years ago

vistamike
vistamike

Yes Xhi, I failed to point that out.

owen123, you are right there. Manufactures seem to now want to them Notebooks; http://www.samsung.com/uk/arti.....-computers

But retailers call them laptops........confusing for the average punter to be sure!

Posted 2 years ago

yahyazahedi
yahyazahedi

hi every one
thanks every one because of your information about laptop and note book , i learned a lot of information.
I decided to buy laptop , i think it is better than note book.

Posted 2 years ago

owen123
owen123

Well Mike don't they always make things confusing

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.