Whats the big deal??

(34 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by drifta
  • Latest reply from drifta
  • Topic Viewed 4138 times

raphoenix
raphoenix

@madmacs,

Yes in these world wide very hard economic conditions, I didn't specify "other new components" in my last post.
Hopefully the inventories of older components will clear through the supply chains and the OEMs can switch the Fabs over sooner so prices will come down however it may take longer than usual due to the harsh economic environment.
Memory is fungible like oil so spot and futures prices in the memory markets very daily.

Posted 5 years ago

madmacs
madmacs

@raphoenix, i gathered you didn´t forget to mention the memory, I was just expressing that with the top i7, a good mainboard and blazing memory it´s going to be (as you stated) a bit more than a mere upgrade!! I´ve been waiting for DDR3 prices to drop for a few months now here in Germany but there´s nothing much happening at the mo :( DDR2´s got cheap as hell, DDR has dropped and since gone sky high again, feel sorry for people with old mainboards. I guess the only good time to buy DDR3 is when DDR4 arrives, lol.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@madmacs,

Yes, this is going to be a tough transition due to recession. Us Regular Folks just don't have money to spend on "extras" or nice to have items.

Posted 5 years ago

0zSpitt
0zSpitt

with what i've been reading with windows7 will this make a big difference in performance on a lighter OS? would it be like over clocking and just checking email on linux?

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@0z,
That is a very good question which I have thought about also.
If I were to build a new i7 machine; what O/S would I put on it ????
XP is too old with no new drivers.
Vista has too many problems and is too squirrelly.
Linux, even with wine, couldn't take advantage of all the new hardware features.
-----------------------
I would be sitting here with a Very Expensive Super Build with NO O/S because Windows 7 is way down the road.
One would certainly want to use a 64 Bit O/S but no good choice exist at the moment.
Something to think about; that's for sure !!!!

Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

0zSpitt
0zSpitt

newegg has i7 for $299, rut-row!

Posted 5 years ago

drifta
drifta

@Raph
i would use vista ulti x64. vista does have a few problems here and there but overall it is a great OS, the divers would be fairly new and will be able to take a lot of advantage from the new hardware. once windows 7 arrives i would be thinking about changing os's by then though im sure much better hardware would be out there.

i just realalised that upgrading to i7 would cost a lot more than $539 USD since we will have to buy the new motherboard and ddr3 ram which hasnt dropped prices in a century as stated by madmac.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Yes but add together MB, plenty of DDR3 fast memory, CPU, Fast SAS HDs, Sata HDs, Case/Frame, 1000 Watt PSU, and ALL the Rest of the components including Video Cards, new monitor, etc., etc.
---------------------
Remember all my network equipment is "shot" and just being held together with spare parts which are running out.
Haven't done a spread sheet estimate yet but just "guessing", new Build could be $3000 and might approach $4000.
A close to 3.0 Gig CPU is a $1000 bucks at the moment but will come down in pricing as I state in above postings.

Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

drifta
drifta

well just last year i purchased a dell machine for 1900 AUD about 1500 USD at the time and i was thinking about upgrading the dual core 2.66ghz processor to i7 but i may now have to scrap that idea as there is no way i can afford to buy the cpu, motherboard and ram. that alone will cost approx 1500 AUD.
guess ill just be sticking with my dual core for atleast another year ot so. i might upgrade my graphics card to 9600 or 9500 sometime in the coming months

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@drifta,
Yep; we are all looking at a complete new Build now as there is no upgrade path with the new i7 release.
Tis the same old way Intel has ALWAYS done business.
Remember the 386, 486, P1, P2, P3, P4, Rambus Ram, Different Sockets, etc., etc.....
Intel is just a year late with this (complete change) from their History and what the Trade Papers say. That's All.

Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Hey, gang, I don't want to derail the discussion of Core i7, and all that, but how do we know that Windows 7 will be a miracle cure for all of Vista's ills? I haven't done a lot of research, but from what I have read there is little information coming from Microsoft on Win7, but tons of speculation from the trade press. Won't Win7 be built on a Vista / Server 2008 foundation? I don't see how they could make the 2009 release date if Win7 discarded all Vista code and was built from the ground up. Does anyone have a reliable source for how Win7 will differ from Vista in ways that will make it's adoption rate better than Vista's dismal showing? Inquiring minds want to know.

Also, how is it that Intel's i7 and Windows 7 both ended up at the the same iteration at the same time? Is it coincidence or collusion? I can see the ads now: "Windows 7 works best on Intel's i7 technology", or some such.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@ScottW,
You and I must read the (same) articles and Trade Press because indeed Windows 7 is supposedly being built from Vista foundation code. Also Microsoft is crashing the schedule of Windows 7 for the earliest release date possible so we will probably indeed see the advertisement "Windows 7 runs best on Intel i7 technology".
-----------------------
Think the OEMs may also be inclined to drop "The Vista Ready" lawsuits if Microsoft and Intel can push both the 7 generation hardware and software out the door pretty close together.
-----------------------
It behooves both companies to reinforce their balance sheets in this recession so one can bet there is much discussion between the two parties behind closed doors.

Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

madmacs
madmacs

From what I have read to date it seems as if Windows 7 is definately built around the Vista kernel. Let´s face it, it even looks the same. Apparently changes are being made to the background activities (only running when neccesary) making it not so hungry on system resources.

There was even one quote from someone at Microsoft that stated Windows 7 should be able to able to run smoothly on a 1Ghz Processor with 1GB ram, aimed at Netbook use like the Eee PC (Yeah right!!) From tests that I have seen based on the beta, it actually uses 10MB ram more than Vista after a fresh install. (530 MB Vista to 540 MB Win 7).

On the positive side, seeing as it is based on Vista, Windows 7 should (I state should) be stable from day 1. There won´t be as many driver and software related problems and I´m expecting the 64bit architecture to be mainstream by the end of next year. It´s been around long enough now!! I have just changed from 32 to 64 and must say I´m quite pleased with results. This time last year I had tried Ultimate x64 for the first time and it was an absolute nightmare, not so now!!

As for the i7, well there´s even rumours that Intel may bring out another processor with 1160 pins (LGA 1160) for the mainstream next year!! As I said these are rumours and I can only think they will be cheaper to fabricate if they are focused towards the mainstream (whatever that means!!). Personally when I get my i7 (965) setup together I am sticking to it for at least 2-3 years. It has enough power, with the DDR3 memory to take any game/program in it´s stride. I can´t think that anything will come out over the next few years that will want me to change my mind. Unless ofcourse Windows 8 comes out with a 128bit architecture, lol !!!!

Posted 5 years ago

drifta
drifta

"Windows 7 is definately built around the Vista kernel". windows 7 (as far as i know) is supposed to offer improved boot times in comparison to Vista, as well as various other performance enhancements. there are also many new features that make it easier to connect to both home and business networks. In Windows 7 there's a capability called Direct Access. this is supposed to allow people to more easily connect to their corporate network. we no longer have to VPN. "On the positive side, seeing as it is based on Vista, Windows 7 should (I state should) be stable from day 1. There won´t be as many driver and software related problems."

it is a rather weird coinsidence that intels i7 and windows 7 have the same iteration. one does really wonder if it is coincidence or collusion. i guess well jsut have to wait and see what happens.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!