SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

(Solved) - What the heck is an RND file?

(10 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by krsn89
  • Latest reply from krsn89
  • Topic Viewed 100755 times

krsn89
krsn89

In my documents, I have a random file with no name. It's just called .rnd, after the extension, I guess. It's 1KB, and it's apparently an RND file. I can't open it. The Windows File Association page (http://shell.windows.com/filea.....sp?EXT=rnd) says it doesn't recognize it. I Googled it, and it seems that:The .RND file extension identifies Pretty Good Privacy Random Seed files. These belong to the open source encryption suite from PGP Corporation. Encryption allows for the safe and secure storage of personal data.

I get annoyed when I don't know what something is, and it's just lurking around in my files. Can I delete it? Why is it there?

Any insight would be appreciated.
Cheers,
- Kelly

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

I have one, too, and so do many others. There doesn't seem to be an answer on what it is.
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au.....92927.html

Sounds like if you delete it, it will come back. It's probably something Windows uses as a random number generator seed or a password salt file.

Posted 6 years ago

krsn89
krsn89

Weird. I deleted it anyways, so I guess we'll see what happens. It's AutoCAD related? I don't even have that. =/

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

No, I think this is more likely the right story:
http://www.cis.udel.edu/~mills.....winnt.html

If so, then it's an encryption key created by OpenSSL to be used by the NTP (Network Time Protocol) for contacting time servers. Right-click on the clock in your system tray and select "Adjust Date / Time". Select the Internet Time tab. If your system is set to synchronize time with an NTP server, I'll bet the .rnd file returns on the next synch.

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

I usually get an RND file when I use PuTTY. I've never seen one from Time Syncs.

Posted 6 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

jd is correct, PuTTY creates those files... it's possible that some apps are written using putty internally or a similar connection mechanism, so they create the same file.

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

That's not surprising since PuTTY uses OpenSSL for SSH connections. Also, the Windows time sync seems to use the same .rnd file -- mine is dated back when I first created my user account and others in the thread above say the same.

Posted 6 years ago

krsn89
krsn89

Neat. At least it has a purpose. I hope I didn't mess any program up by deleting it? It hasn't reappeared, even after the Time Sync thing.

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

No. Any program that needs an RND file will just recreate one.

Posted 6 years ago

krsn89
krsn89

Awesome, thanks.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.