SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - What startup programs should/could I remove?

(16 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by minigeek
  • Latest reply from vistamike
  • Topic Viewed 8233 times

minigeek

Hi Everyone,

While I was looking through CCleaner, I thought I would try out the Startup section. I have know people on here be recommended to use this when their computer is running slowly. I also heard members say that they tried to keep it low! Sorry about what is about to follow!

Here is my startup list:

Yes HKCU:Run AirMediaServer C:\Program Files (x86)\AirMediaServer\AirMediaServer.exe
Yes HKCU:Run ApplePhotoStreams C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Internet Services\ApplePhotoStreams.exe
Yes HKCU:Run DisplayFusion "C:\Program Files (x86)\DisplayFusion\DisplayFusion.exe"
Yes HKCU:Run dualmonitor C:\Program Files (x86)\Dual Monitor\DualMonitor.exe
Yes HKCU:Run Facebook Update "C:\Users\MiniGeek\AppData\Local\Facebook\Update\FacebookUpdate.exe" /c /nocrashserver
Yes HKCU:Run Google Update "C:\Users\MiniGeek\AppData\Local\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe" /c
Yes HKCU:Run iCloudServices C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Internet Services\iCloudServices.exe
Yes HKCU:Run OfficeSyncProcess "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\MSOSYNC.EXE"
Yes HKCU:Run WLSync "C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Mesh\WLSync.exe" /background
Yes HKLM:Run Adobe Photo Downloader "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 6.0\apdproxy.exe"
Yes HKLM:Run APSDaemon "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Apple Application Support\APSDaemon.exe"
Yes HKLM:Run BCSSync "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\BCSSync.exe" /DelayServices
Yes HKLM:Run DLCJCATS rundll32 C:\Windows\system32\spool\DRIVERS\x64\3\DLCJtime.dll,RunDLLEntry
Yes HKLM:Run dlcjmon.exe "C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell Photo AIO Printer 964\dlcjmon.exe"
Yes HKLM:Run iTunesHelper "C:\Program Files (x86)\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
Yes HKLM:Run LifeCam "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft LifeCam\LifeExp.exe"
Yes HKLM:Run LogMeIn GUI "C:\Program Files (x86)\LogMeIn\x64\LogMeInSystray.exe"
Yes HKLM:Run MemoryCardManager "C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell Photo AIO Printer 964\memcard.exe"
Yes HKLM:Run MSC "c:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Client\msseces.exe" -hide -runkey
Yes HKLM:Run NBKeyScan "C:\Program Files (x86)\Nero\Nero8\Nero BackItUp\NBKeyScan.exe"
Yes HKLM:Run QuickTime Task "C:\Program Files (x86)\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime
Yes HKLM:Run RTHDVCPL C:\Program Files\Realtek\Audio\HDA\RAVCpl64.exe -s
Yes HKLM:Run Shairport4w "C:\Users\MiniGeek\Customizations\Shairport4w.exe"
Yes HKLM:Run SunJavaUpdateSched "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe"
Yes HKLM:Run VirtualCloneDrive "C:\Program Files (x86)\Elaborate Bytes\VirtualCloneDrive\VCDDaemon.exe" /s
Yes HKLM:Run VX6000 C:\Windows\vVX6000.exe
Yes Startup Common Rainmeter.lnk C:\Program Files\Rainmeter\Rainmeter.exe
Yes Startup User Desk Lamp.exe - Shortcut.lnk C:\Users\MiniGeek\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\Copy of Desk Lamp\bin\x86\Release\Desk Lamp.exe
Yes Startup User Door.exe - Shortcut.lnk C:\Users\MiniGeek\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\Door\bin\x86\Release\Door.exe
Yes Startup User Dropbox.lnk C:\Users\MiniGeek\AppData\Roaming\Dropbox\bin\Dropbox.exe
Yes Startup User Email.exe - Shortcut.lnk C:\Users\MiniGeek\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\Email\bin\Release\Email.exe
Yes Startup User EventGhost.lnk C:\Program Files (x86)\EventGhost\EventGhost.exe
Yes Startup User Feed Notifier.lnk C:\Program Files (x86)\Feed Notifier\notifier.exe
Yes Startup User Microsoft Outlook.lnk C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\OUTLOOK.EXE
Yes Startup User Microsoft SharePoint Workspace.lnk C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\GROOVE.EXE
Yes Startup User OneNote 2010 Screen Clipper and Launcher.lnk C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\ONENOTEM.EXE
Yes Startup User pidgin.ahk - Shortcut.lnk C:\Users\MiniGeek\Customizations\main.ahk
Yes Startup User Pidgin.lnk C:\Program Files (x86)\Pidgin\pidgin.exe
Yes Startup User server nogui.lnk C:\Users\MiniGeek\Customizations\LedDisplayCtrl_v0.1.2b_win32_03_04_09\LedDisplayControllerGui.exe
Yes Startup User test.vbs - Shortcut.lnk C:\Users\MiniGeek\Customizations\test.vbs
Yes Startup User txt listener.exe - Shortcut.lnk C:\Users\MiniGeek\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\txt listener\bin\x86\Release\txt listener.exe

My PC currently takes a while to boot up, and I would like to try and improve this! It was not so slow when I built it.
Can anyone see any programs in that list that should/could be disabled/removed?

MiniGeek

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse

Just about everything I would say. Unless it's something you use on a daily basis. And certainly all those updaters can go.

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi

The answer is absolutely none of the files in startup need to run! Startup is a convenience. Programs in startup are ones the user would like to run or would have to run first anyway(Security programs for example). My personal rule of thumb is no more than 10. It all depends on the whim of the user and how long he/she is willing to wait for startup to start programs he/she mat not be using before beginning the job they started the computer for.

I only start those things I use on a daily basis, Security, Jing, pidgeon, autohotkeys, a few others.

Just because some programmer somewhere thought their program was so important that it should be started every time the computer starts, does not mean I have to agree with him.

Posted 2 years ago

StringJunky

If you use Chrome, keep Google Update. If you use Outlook keep that. If you use MS Essentials keep MSC. Keep Sun Java..it can be a security hole if it's not updated. You can disable all the others in Ccleaner's Startup tab and re-ennable any you find you need later. Once you are happy that the ones running are the ones you need delete the rest for good. As has been stated you are only stopping them starting automatically.

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi

If you want more details on what the entries are you can look them up in Windows startup programs - Database search.

Posted 2 years ago

mfletch

All but your antivirus??

Posted 2 years ago

StringJunky

MFletch

About halfway down. MSC.

Posted 2 years ago

mfletch

StringJunky yes I must have been editing my post when you posted hence the change

Posted 2 years ago

SarahJames

The others have said enough already ;)
Just noticed one thing - do you use Nero BackItUp? Came with my Nero too and it's a ****** disaster.
I'd say remove it completely (along with just about all that comes with the Nero suite LOL, just leave Nero Burning ROM, because that actually is a wonderfull thing) and use Macrium Reflect for imaging. Way better :)))

Posted 2 years ago

minigeek

Thanks! Now down to 28 items!!

The website Xhi pointed me to was really useful - will bookmark it!
Admittedly, I've already been terrible at startup programs! Always had loads!

Also, just a note to anyone who attempted to research them - you will not find the ones that are stored in the Visual Studio folder, as they are custom written. Gotta have your light switching on and off with the computer!

Admittedly, I never really see this machine boot up anyway, but It's nice to be able to quickly boot it up in emergencys! DD-WRT and WOL FTW!

@SarahJames
Nope, That was one of the first to be disabled! On windows 7, it will always trigger UAC prompts when you log into a non admin account.

Also, yes, I do run iTunes on startup! Slightly mad, but it does play the music through the whole afternoon after I get back from school! Really can't be bothered to change to another player.

MiniGeek

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse

I would dump Nero Burn, and use ImgBurn anyway. Lets see what Sarah says about that :)

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi

Really??

Posted 2 years ago

minigeek

I already use Imgburn for most stuff, but I need to keep Nero for when I need it!

Last year, Nero got me another £25 when I videoed a school play! They were so impressed with the menus and such that they paid me twice as much! Result!
I also use coverdesigner with my lightscribe drive.

MiniGeek

Posted 2 years ago

SarahJames

Ahh you use the dvd and video options :)
Good for you!

I have Showbiz DVD which does enough for me, since I never make full fledged dvd's, just the occasional youtube video.
So on my clean install I only let Nero install the Burning Rom part.
And I don't have lightscribe ;)

@ LH - Imgburn probably does it all too, but I like Nero. Came with my first pc and seemed to come with every other one too, so I've never been without <LOL>.

Posted 2 years ago

Rock

You can follow this link and look up each item you have listed and see if its recomended that you leave it in start up or if you can remove it. To startthe process go to start/run and type msconfig and the system configuration utility will open ,then click on the startup tab. Check each listing with the information opn the web site and remove the unnessary apps.listed. I have only seven items listed in msconfig and it helps your PC to run better! Here is the link http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_index.htm
Take Care Rock

Posted 2 years ago

vistamike

I don't like startups at all;

A useful site to look at is http://www.blackviper.com/

Have a lot of respect for this guy

Mike

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.