The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Linux

"What should the next version of Ubuntu bring us?" - Blog Discussion

(6 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by jmcguire
  • Latest reply from fastbullet
  • Topic Viewed 1070 times

jmcguire

The screenshots in the Blog are amazing. I am assuming this is not actual screenshots of the next version of Ubuntu though.
Do these themes exist or are they merely mock-ups? If they actually exist, someone please link to them.

I can understand Ubuntu not wanting to include closed source software by default, but isn't that the main focus of the Gobuntu project? Some closed source software is a must-have.

Another problem, not with Ubuntu, but with Gnome, is the almost neglect of vital features that users want to see. A very big feature is different wallpapers on each desktop. It is in KDE and is very useful when utilizing the different desktops.

Posted 6 years ago

The Geek

Gnome is really limited... annoys me. I prefer KDE most of the time.

You might want to check the comments on that article, I noticed some people linked to various places. Hopefully Stefan will also respond here shortly with some links.

Posted 6 years ago

jmcguire

@The Geek
Thanks. I have been considering going to KDE, but I really like the organization structure that Gnome has. When Intrepid Ibex comes out I may install Kubuntu.

@all
I have heard the new version of KDE was a little buggy, could someone elaborate on that? Is it anything to really cause an issue?

Posted 6 years ago

The Geek

With KDE 4.x they completely revamped how it works... 4.0 barely even worked, and I haven't used 4.1 yet, but I've heard it's a lot better.

Posted 6 years ago

jmcguire

So I am assuing that Kubuntu 8.10 will come standard with KDE3.5 (which is the KDE I have used). I will definitely have to check into it.

I checked the KDE website and found the language they use quiet comical. "Early-adopting users" and "Conservative users"

Does KDE have a release cycle (similar to every 6 months a Gnome update is released)?

Posted 6 years ago

fastbullet

Richard, JM,

I've not been using Ubuntu for quite a year yet but I managed to convince my older brother to give it a whirl. Doesn't it only figure that he ended up trying out Kubuntu and KDE 4.0? I don't know that I'll ever hear the end of this, even though it wasn't my idea to use Kubuntu.

As to what the next version of *buntu should bring, I'd be more than happy with some updated hardware drivers and a few fixes for the things that 8.04 "unfixed". I was having a lot of fun with Fiesty until the sound went hinky. After some extremely frustrating attempts at fixing the Fiesty sound issues, I used it as an excuse to "upgrade" to Hardy. It was a jump from the frying pan into the fire.

I have downloaded ISOs for 8.10 U-, K- and X- buntu, but only played with the X on an older, rather anemic machine. Even then, I hadn't mustered the courage to do an install and worked only from the disc.

I look forward to your evaluation of 8.10 because I know you are not under the gun and won't do a half-fast job just to fill space.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.