The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

What is the traffic flow when I copy files between 2 computers using Wi-Fi

(5 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by tombet
  • Latest reply from raphoenix
  • Topic Viewed 280 times

tombet

I just read the good article HTG Explains: Understanding Routers, Switches, and Network Hardware.
http://www.howtogeek.com/99001.....-switches/

Very useful. The discussion about switches raises a question:

If I copy files between two computers, say from computer A to computer B on the same WiFi LAN, does the data go directly between the 2 computers, A -> B. Or does it go A -> Router -> B ? I am assuming the router must always be the intermediary, but maybe not and networking is smarter than I realize. At least as I am thinking about it, if the copy could be directly between the two computers once initiated, the overall amount of data traffic would be roughly half as much as if the router has to be in the loop. True ? And if the network were wired, not wireless, would that change the answer ?

Thank you.

Posted 1 year ago

ian2

Unless you use a data transfer cable linking the two computers directly everything
will go from A to router to B.

Wired or wireless connection makes no difference.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi

And actually I believe it is broadcast throughout the network and it is just that the addressed computer picks it up.

Posted 1 year ago

ian2

I also think that if they have bluetooth ,one may transfer files without the router .
not sure on that though.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix

Yes if computer MB has BT capability, then can transfer files directly between another BT device.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.