What is the process mfpmp.exe?

(5 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by roeelo
  • Latest reply from roeelo
  • Topic Viewed 20733 times

roeelo
roeelo

Hello all.
I noticed that when i playing WMP another process is active, mfpmp.exe.
What is the purpose of this process and should i disable it? (why do i need 2 WMP process?)

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

roeelo, mfpmp.exe is used by Vista to handle content with digital rights management (DRM). In theory, mfpmp.exe should only show up if you are playing, or have recently played, files with DRM. If you kill the task, you might have trouble with playback of protected content.

I also see that there have been reports of mfpmp.exe using lots of system resources. Is it giving you any trouble in that way?

Posted 5 years ago

roeelo
roeelo

As a matter of fact not really, the memory of mfpmp.exe is 11,000k and the WMP is 15,000k, so it doesn't that bad as you see.
But it appears even when I'm playing video clips that i got in my e-mail, and that's strange. Then the mfpmp.exe is 16,000k and up.
I was just wondering why i need it...
So you don't recommend to close it?

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

I did a little testing of this process because I had never paid attention to it before. This mfpmp.exe does not start when WMP starts, but it does start when playing most music or video files. Purchased music downloads and videos, even MP3 files, have a "Media Usage Rights" setting which you can see in WMP by right-clicking a file in the playlist and selecting Properties. Even though there are no restrictions on MP3 files, and some others, WMP still lists the Usage Rights, "This file is not protected". For any such file, mfpmp.exe gets loaded and apparently does all the work of playback. At least, when I played a 720p WMV video file, the CPU usage for mfpmp.exe hovers around 13%.

Using MPC Home Cinema, I can play the same video and it does not launch mfpmp.exe. It also uses less CPU bandwidth -- around 10%.

Bottom line, you should not disable or kill the mfpmp.exe process when running WMP. That would stop it from being able to play most files. You could, however, use another player such as MPC-HC or VLC as your primary playback software.

Posted 5 years ago

roeelo
roeelo

OK, i understand. if the mfpmp.exe process is around 10-13k, i guess i can live with that.
Thanks for the information!

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.