haydosrulz

i was looking at them and noticed that the cheaper one had more ghz

they are; Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (2.40GHz) LGA775, 1066FSB, 8MB Cache, ATX

and

Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 (3.16GHz), LGA775, 1333FSB, 6MB Cache, ATX

Which one is better for games???

Posted 6 years ago

The Geek

The Core2Duo would be better for gaming by far just because of the higher clock rate and the fact that most games aren't optimized for multiple threads.

Posted 6 years ago

whs

Definitely the Duo core E8500. I have the Q6600 - and it is a lame duck. After all, it has only 2.4GHz and runs on only 2 cores most of the time anyhow. There are very few applications where a quad core is useful - but for games, you want Mips.
The next question then is the graphics card. You should have a close look at that too.

Posted 6 years ago

haydosrulz

thanks

Posted 6 years ago

whs

Hmm, I guess the Geek types faster than me - lol.

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW

Lame duck = elected official who is ineligible for re-election.
MIPS = Meaningless Indicator of Processor Speed :-)

The Q6600 is popular with overclockers who can easily push the clock speed up to 3.2 GHz giving them a fast quad-core with lots of L2. However, this procedure is not for everyone.

Posted 6 years ago

JonMCC33

It depends on what you do most. If you are a gamer then the E8500 is a better option. If you do video encoding however, the Q6600 is a much better option: http://xbitlabs.com/articles/c.....600_7.html

Since you are a gamer it's a no brainer to go with the E8500: http://xbitlabs.com/articles/c.....600_6.html

Posted 6 years ago

whs

ScottW, Thanks for the English semantic lesson.
JonMCC, I have to agree. On Video processing the 4 cores of the Q6600 do their job. That is one of those few applications where I noticed all 4 cores working at nearly 100%.

Posted 6 years ago

The Geek

Technically, a lame duck is an elected official that hasn't left office yet even though another person has been elected to that same office but hasn't been sworn in yet. But whichever =)

My Q6600 quad core system is screaming fast, especially when I'm using it for 3-4 virtual machines at once with 20 other apps running. It's just not optimal for video games compared to the E8500 unless you are an overclocker, as ScottW mentions.

Also, if you are an overclocker you'd be better off with the 2.5ghz quad instead since it runs at a much higher bus... my brother has his overclocked to 4ghz or so with a water cooling setup.

Posted 6 years ago

whs

That's what you get when you make a literal translation. In my language "lame duck" is something slow - often used to characterize a slow car. It was especially applied to the Citroen 2CV which we also called "Duck".

Posted 6 years ago

Scott

Deux Chavoux ? (sp)

Posted 6 years ago

whs

http://www.flickr.com/photos/j.....414815159/

Posted 6 years ago

Scott

I sure hope they were Clydesdales :)

Posted 6 years ago

Scott

Did you ever have one of these?
http://techfo.info/index.php/T.....-1958.html

Posted 6 years ago

whs

No, I did not. They were Isettas. There is a nice automobile museum in Lancaster County, Penn. where they keep a few of those.

Posted 6 years ago

Scott

There's a red one here at the local BMW dealer.
Looks like the precursor to the smart cars.

Very scary though, looks like you could get run over by a standard schnauzer.

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW

Both political definitions of lame duck are correct according to the American Heritage Dictionary. Due to the impending revocation of American independence, I would have looked up lame duck in the Oxford English Dictionary, but it costs $295 US per year to subscribe. I'm not sure I'll be able to afford being a British subject! What's a VAT tax? :-)

Posted 6 years ago

whs

VAT = Value Added Tax (another word for Sales Tax).

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.