SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - What Is Java FX - And Do I Really Need It ?

(4 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Straspey
  • Latest reply from PreetamD
  • Topic Viewed 36916 times

Straspey
Straspey

As a result of having run a system restore today, I went back in time to the version of Java just before the current update.

After confirming everything else was okay (which it seems to be), I received a message to update to the latest version of Java. Normally, I update manually, but accepted the prompt and it began the update.

However, somewhere in the middle of the process, it also installed something called JavaFX 2.1.1 - which appears as a separately installed component in the "programs and features" menu via control panel.

I have never had this program before, and have no idea what it's for.

My question is - should I (must I) keep it ? May I remove (uninstall) it without harm ?

I could just as easily uninstall all the Java components and re-install a fresh copy of the latest version, which is how I normally do it anyway.

Any assistance and guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Posted 1 year ago

PreetamD
PreetamD

JavaFX is actually a software platform for creating apps and applets for media such as browser, mobile phones etc. etc. Programs written in JavaFX uses a script mainly used in webpages... You can remove it, but loading some pages may experience issues. No big deal, you could always reinstall Java !!

Accepted Answer · Posted 1 year ago

Straspey
Straspey

@PreetamD

Thanks for you helpful reply.

As it turned out, because of the system restore which I ran, I was getting conflicting information about which version of Java I had installed - so just to be safe, I uninstalled all Java entries via Control Panel, then downloaded and installed a fresh copy of the latest version of Java.

I've never had JavaFX before, and seemed to be getting along just fine, so we'll see what happens.

And, as you point out, I can always re-intall the FX components later, if need be.

Many thanks for your help.

Posted 1 year ago

PreetamD
PreetamD

@Straspey

You are welcome !!

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!