The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

What is entry point SHRegGetValueW And SHLWAPI.dll

(5 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by baggman
  • Latest reply from raphoenix
  • Topic Viewed 32651 times

baggman

I have an error message: The procedure entry point SHRegGetValueW could not be located in the dynamic link library SHLWAPI.dll. What does this mean? How can it be fixed?

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW

Baggman, hello. The file shlwapi.dll is a valid Vista system file. It is the "Shell LightWeight Utility Library". The talk of an "entry point" means that some application is trying to call a function that is in that library. Either SHRegGetValueW is not a valid entry in the library, or it's possible that the library is corrupt. What is your computer doing when this error message shows up?

Try the System File Checker (SFC) which will confirm if all of the protected system files, such as that DLL, are not missing or corrupted. From an elevated Command Prompt (run as administrator!), run the following command:

sfc /scannow

If it runs without any messages then all is well. If it asks for an install disc then something is wrong. Give it the install disk if you have it. Write back with the results.

Posted 5 years ago

baggman

Thanks for the reply, ScottW. I did what you sugggested and it asked for my install disc. Then I got this: Please wait while windows checks to make sure all files are in place(some thing like that). Then this : Files that are requiered for Windows to run properly must be copied to the Dll cache. Insert your Windows XP Professional CD-Rom now.
Then it told me that I had insertrd the wrong disc. So I took it out and reinserted it.
Then a window kept popping up for me to retry. I kept clicking retry every time it popped up and the bar gradually filled itself, then the filled bar disappeared and nothing else happened. Hope this fixed it. I would get this at times when I first start the computer.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW

Baggman, that sounds familiar. I have seen SFC do the same thing where it asks for the install disc then tells you it's not the right one. I have no idea why it does that, but like you I just keep hitting retry until it's done.

You can probably wait a while and see if that error message shows up again. If not, you could try SFC again to see if it still wants to repair system files.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix

baggman,

(ScottW) is correct concerning SFC.
If one makes XP Boot Slipstreams and such plus has the latest updates integrated, etc.; SFC gives problems. I too don't have an idea of why this is, so I just don't use the SFC utility.
Kindest Regards,
Rick P.♦:)

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.