SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - What happen if I "Install" Windows 7? Not upgrade!

(11 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by GoldenQueen
  • Latest reply from LH
  • Topic Viewed 738 times

GoldenQueen

Hello Nice GreatGoodGeeks :)

Again me and yes another question.
If I install Windows 7 on a computer...will it be complete?
I mean not upgrade but ..install ...
Will the computer need something else or its will be complete?
Thank you Again

YourCanadianFriend Goldie :)

Posted 5 years ago

Santo

What do you mean by "will it be complete"?

If you are asking installing Windows 7 using clean install will be fine, then answer will be: Before you install Windows 7 run Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor to check the hardware compatibility of the operating system with your computers hardware.
You only need to check the hardware compatibility because you had mentioned about clean install.

Posted 5 years ago

whs

What do you have - an installation disk or an upgrade disk? One thing you need for certain in addition is a security program. I use MSE - works very well and is free. http://www.microsoft.com/Security_Essentials/ Then there is of course a list of "useful" programs. But none of those are compulsory or vital.

Posted 5 years ago

ispalten

W7 install disks are COMPLETE, that is when done, you will have the full W7 version you purchased.

'Complete' though could mean different things? Complete with your old programs and settings retained or a new complete install? Vista is the ONLY supported UPGRADE on the UPGRADE CD's MS sells. Even then, you have the choice of a 'completely' new install or an install over and retain the Vista settings and customizations as well as installed programs.

I believe in the distant past MS used to sell UPGRADE and FULL versions of the OS. UPGRADE versions would 'convert' the old OS to the new one. You could not use the UPGRADE on a new system or hard disk, a prior OS must be installed first for those CD's to work. This is NOT the case with W7 CD's.

Irv S.

Posted 5 years ago

GoldenQueen

Thank you guys ...I think i did not get myself too clear here...
I have the CD of Windows 7 its to put on a XP computer
What I would like to know is:
If I do a clean install ...not an upgrade
Will it be "complete" I mean with everything that comes from a Windows.
Like when I install XP on my computer there was nothing in it then...
I mean complete with everything it needed to fun a computer

With Vista if I have Windows 7...I will upgrade from Vista to Windows 7 but..
with XP ...if I do the whole installation ...will I have a complete computer ...
The programs I needed for the XP are now on an external disk ...

I hope I explain myself more clear now....or worst lol

Thanks again
Goldie :)

Posted 5 years ago

germ-x

You will have everything that comes on your windows 7 dvd. All your other programs will have to be reinstalled. After you complete the installation and get your internet connected you will be getting a windows update notice. Make sure you run the compatibility check option before doing your install. This will pick-up any drivers and or programs that might cause a program. It also gives you recommendations for any alerts you receive. Hope this helps

Accepted Answer · Posted 5 years ago

whs

Goldie, it gets unclearer by the minute - LOL

Posted 5 years ago

GoldenQueen

Germ-x (no star for your nic) lol Right Answer Germ-x (why do I have a problem writing it)
Just being (or trying) to have a little humor here but...You told me exactly what I wanted to
hear...Thank you

See guys how easy it was LOL ...

Thank you all so much.. I know sometimes I am not "ms clear" but...since I dont master
the language of Shakespeare yet but...I am getting there

whs :) you are being to funny now lol

Thank you all :)

YourCanadianFriend Goldie :)

Posted 5 years ago

whs

Goldie, you can post in the language of Voltaire, we'll understand.

Posted 5 years ago

GoldenQueen

I should put my problems in 2 languages and Spanish now if you want confusion lol
it will be problematical to post and longggg lol

Thanks though whs Goldie :)

Posted 5 years ago

LH

Hola, nada, niet, non, nein etc :)

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.