How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

what does anyone like about windows7 ?

(62 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by 0zSpitt
  • Latest reply from jd2066
  • Topic Viewed 9202 times

InDiSent
InDiSent

yeh, Workstation has way more functionality.

Posted 5 years ago

BigMaryHinge

I found this link for VM Portable version, I've not tried it personally so not sure if it's legal or not.

Edit by mod. Sorry. That one's not legal either :(

Posted 5 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

whs said Everything is great, except the taskbar - that sucks. I want my minimized WMP controls and my Quick Launch chevrons back. Fortunately they left "Links" because I use that a lot.
Those are some fairly minor problems to say the taskbar sucks.
The WMP controls are still there, you just need to right click on the WMP icon to access them.
As for Quick Launch chevrons, they didn't seem to work that well in the first place so I don't see the issue.
The new taskbar pinning, start menu pinning or pinning to a gadget work much better from what I can tell.

Posted 5 years ago

0zSpitt
0zSpitt

mine quit working, it won't connect to the internet and says the lan driver isn't supported by the operating system.

Posted 5 years ago

LH
LH

And, very, very hopefully, the next incarnation of Windows, will be :- Base Module (kernal) $x, each additianal module (I.E.,WMP, etc) $x.
Works for me.

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

jd, Quick Launch is a major function as far as I am concerned. I have currently 27 program shortcuts parked there and I use it to launch those programs all the time. But now that I have fixed it in W7 and got my chevrons back, I am pretty happy with the taskbar. I don't know why you say that the chevrons did not seem to work that well. I never had the slightest problem with it.

Posted 5 years ago

LH
LH

I too use Quick Launch all the time. Hate to see that go.

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

LH, go here, in case you have not enabled it yet.

Posted 5 years ago

Scott
Scott

Or here,
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto.....windows-7/

Posted 5 years ago

LH
LH

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto.....windows-7/
No ?

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

Hmm ya, forgot abou this one.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Still trying to come up with an answer to the topic original question.

Maybe in a couple of months I'll think of something .....

Regards,
Rick P. :) :)

Posted 5 years ago

0zSpitt
0zSpitt

lol rick, i can't even use it to answer my own question.

Posted 5 years ago

LH
LH

I can't even remember what my question was :)

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

Oz, try to run in a virtual partition. Then you get the support via the host.

Posted 5 years ago

0zSpitt
0zSpitt

whs, i just did that, how freaky! it still wouldn't connect even when i had it search for the drivers on c drive which are there because i'm here. it's beta, no big deal...

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Is that a question or a speech ?? :)

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

Oz, you have to enable it in VB. See my post here on the same subject.

Posted 5 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

whs said Quick Launch is a major function as far as I am concerned. I have currently 27 program shortcuts parked there and I use it to launch those programs all the time. But now that I have fixed it in W7 and got my chevrons back, I am pretty happy with the taskbar. I don't know why you say that the chevrons did not seem to work that well. I never had the slightest problem with it.

I did not do a good job explaining my point. I'm sorry for the confusion.
The Quick Launch toolbar and the chevrons work perfectly well in Windows XP and Windows Vista, in fact for many years I used the Quick Launch toolbar to launch shortcuts, I even used Free/True Launch Bar to get sub folder support so I could just click "Favorite Apps" for example to get a popup menu of options, this way I could have many different folders each with their own popup menu. I had found earlier that I could use the Links toolbar to do that but then my Links toolbar in Internet Explorer could not be used for Favorite Links in Internet Explorer.

The reason I said I didn't like the Quick Launch was because the Quick Launch itself without any extras like 2 or more popout folders was quite limited in function and thus I understand why Microsoft removed support for things like the Quick Launch and floating toolbars in favor of Start Menu pinning, Taskbar Pinning and Taskbar Recent Lists. I also understand why they removed the Media Player toolbar in favor of commands in the right click menu of the Media Player button.

The new methods are quite a bit more flexible and by removing support for older methods, it gives them a lot more time to focus on creating and improving the new methods.
I think the biggest problem with Windows XP and Windows Vista is that Microsoft didn't want to rock the boat so to speak by removing older things the classic start menu, the Quick Launch, etc. when those methods weren't very good and/or flexible to begin with.
I think all the complaints about Windows Vista has made Microsoft realize they need to just remove features like the Quick Launch to move forward with replacements like Taskbar Pinning without worrying about people who love the old ways as it just lowers the quality of Windows as a whole when no matter what you do, there will always be complaints about Windows from tons of people on this planet.
Based on I've read, I wouldn't be too surprised if most the people complaining about Windows XP, Vista and 7 were actully little green men who came down to Earth to cause trouble :)

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

jd, your point is well understood. I am the last one who would fight progress. I guess I would have to figure out how to park all my little system utilities like Process Explorer, CCleaner, Revo, WinPatrol and the other 23.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!