How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

what does anyone like about windows7 ?

(62 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by 0zSpitt
  • Latest reply from jd2066
  • Topic Viewed 9202 times

0zSpitt
0zSpitt

just wondering? i'd rather read positives...

Posted 5 years ago

Scott
Scott

Just the positives, eh?

In no particular order,

Speed
Lack of compatibility issues
A better UI
Explorer seems to remember settings
UAC more customizable
The new Control Panel
The new customizable Tray

To name a few.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Positives:
Stability - NO BSODs.
Hardware Drivers Are Offered During Updates.

Negatives:
TBA

Posted 5 years ago

taybay
taybay

The updated user interface is just great. And the explorer is more functional. I still have to learn all the tricks (like shaking windows to minimize other windows) but once I learn them all I'll be set.

Posted 5 years ago

drifta
drifta

id also liek to add how explorer rembers what you have previously oppened and alows you to directly re-open that without having to navigate ur way. this is also evident in other programs. its like the recent itmes list as been moved to the individual programs itself making life alot easier.

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

Everything is great, except the taskbar - that sucks. I want my minimized WMP controls and my Quick Launch chevrons back. Fortunately they left "Links" because I use that a lot. But I had to find a few hardware drivers. That may have to do with my virtual partition setup. Performance in the virtual partition is nearly that of Vista on the real system - but then W7 is Vista light. There is nothing in it, not the 179 programs I have installed in Vista. Just looked into my startups, they were blank except for the few programs I have downloaded myself.
Now that I have my printers and my files shared with the host and I can access the USBs, I am really happy with the virtual partition setup. With one click I can switch between Vista host and W7 or even work on both at the same time. E.g. whilst W7 is downloading something I can write a letter in Vista. Or run my webradio on Vista whilst working in W7. What more can a man ask for. Here is a picture of my setup.

Posted 5 years ago

bingojubes
bingojubes

the background can now switch pictures on an interval of our choosing! no more extra wallpaper switcher programs!

did install faster

does look decent - new layout will take some getting used to

Posted 5 years ago

rocky6190
rocky6190

When i first installed Win 7 i thought,great a new taskbar, is that it!!!!

Then as i used it more frequently i have to say i like ALL the new features, including the Libraries in Explorer which for some reason not many people seem to like.

Sry to go a little off topic, but whs, what image size is that in your post (i insert an image earlier into a post of mine and it nearly blew up the how to geek website it was that big)

Posted 5 years ago

drifta
drifta

hey whs, could u plz post how you setup the file sharing from host to VM and how u enabled printer sharing and also how you managed to get the usbs to be detected in the VM please. i would really appreciate that.

Posted 5 years ago

aboljamajem
aboljamajem

ican only say its wonderful

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

@Drifta, First I need to tell you that I am using VirtualBox now. It is a little better than VPC which I have also installed, but I now use it only for certain tests.
For sharing, you have to first enable the Home Network in W7 and then the usual sharing options in Vista.
For the printer, go to Devices and Printers at Start and "Add a printer". You should see the printer at the host. From here, it is just a few installtion mimics.
For the files, go to "Network" and you should see the Host system. Double click on that and at least the "Public Folders" should be visible. I used that to move stuff around. Theoretically I should be able to get at all folders, but I did not yet get that far. I just use "Public Folders" as a carrier.
For the USB, you have to go into "Settings" of VirtualBox and enable them (double click on where it says USB in blue print). In VPC there is no USB support (as far as I can tell).

@Rocky, I usually use 640x480. 15" if you want to show detail, it's a little bigger. I do the "resize" in Photo Bucket. And I always snip my pictures in .png. It is a better quality.

Posted 5 years ago

drifta
drifta

thanx whs, ill take a look at virtual box sometime in the next couple of days.
for now you seem to be the expert on virtual box so you might have to help me out with enabling some of the features but ill see how i go with the instructions u provided me. whish me luck

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

Drifta, don't worry. I'll help you any time. But Virtual Box is really easy to set up. I prefer it by far over Virtual PC 2007 from MS. It has more and better capabilitis. I run both for studying the differences, but VB is my Windows7 test system.

Posted 5 years ago

lilsting10

@whs: I have the Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit OS; is Virtual Box only avaliable to the 64-bit OS? The website's download page only lists the following versions:
* VirtualBox 2.1.0 for Windows hosts x86 | AMD64 (only on Windows x64!)
* VirtualBox 2.1.0 for OS X hosts Intel Macs
* VirtualBox 2.1.0 for Linux hosts
* VirtualBox 2.1.0 for Solaris and OpenSolaris hosts x86 | AMD64
* VirtualBox 2.1.0 Software Developer Kit (SDK) All platforms
* VirtualBox older builds

Also, what is that 'QuickLaunch-looking' thing you have on your Windows Sidebar, the 5th gadget down, called? If it is something like quicklaunch-on-sidebar i'll be a happy man.

Posted 5 years ago

LH
LH

VirtualBox 2.1.0 for Windows hosts x86. Click on the x86

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

llsting10. As LH said, go for x86, that is 32bit.
The Quick launch thing on my taskbar is "AppLauncher". A really neat feature that I use all day long. I launch 80% of my progrms from there with 1 click. It is on my gadget Window, if you don't have it there, use the on-line search. There you will find it for certain. If you need tips how to set it up, let me know. But it is pretty simple. You need to have a folder with all the shortcuts on the desktop (or wherever). But the shortcuts need a safe repository.

This snip was for a different purpose. But you see the AppLauncher on the top in second and third position. No idea why I have it twice.

Posted 5 years ago

InDiSent
InDiSent

Like Drifta was saying, i too like the way Win7 remembers things. When i click on the Orb then mouse over VmWare the sub menu opens with a list of recently opened VM's. I love that. Before i would launch VmWare Workstation then pick which VM i wanted to launch. With Windows 7 i can launch the VM i want right from the start menu.

@ Drifta - Are you using VmWare Workstation? What version? The file sharing between host and VM is automatically turned on, just drag from one to the other. To verify just click on VM then settings > click the Options tab then look at Guest Isolation...enable drag and drop and enable copy&paste should be checked.
As for the USB devices, just click on VM (on the file-edit-view toolbar), then removable devices.

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

InDiSent, is there a (legal) way to get my hands on a free copy of VmWare. Would love to try it out and add it to my collection (see here.)

Posted 5 years ago

InDiSent
InDiSent

you can use VmWare Player. It will let you play VM's from some other apps, but i wont make VM's.

http://www.vmware.com/products/player/

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

Thanks InDiSent, I got that far. But for the real thing one has to dish out $89 I think. The player is not really what I want.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!