The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

What could be causing this????

(12 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by LEECAD
  • Latest reply from germ-x
  • Topic Viewed 616 times

LEECAD

Today I rebooted my computer and only the taskbar showed up. No desktop icons just a black screen (my desktop is normally solid black color). So I hit the power button to do a manual shutdown and it asked me to start windows normally, safe mode, etc. So I started windows normally and this time the screen was black. nothing on it at all but the cursor. So I manually shutdown again and once again started Windows normally when prompted to. Once again there was nothing but the cursor. Black screen and no taskbar or desktop icons.
So I manually shutdown again by holding the power button. This time I started in safe mode and everything worked fine. So I restarted again and once again everything was fine. Now I am posting this to see what might be going on if anyone would know and could help me. I have an HP laptop 2000 Notebook series. It is only about 8 months old. It always starts and loads things quickly with no problems. So you see my concern when it happened.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Sounds like a hickup.

Posted 1 year ago

LEECAD

SO hold the computer upside down and give it water?????????????

LOL

So does that mean nothing really to worry about. Just a hickup as you say. Nothing really major or anything. If so that would really put my mind to ease.

Thank You!!!!!!

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

If anything, that would be very hard to trace. If it happens again, disable all startup programs (in safe mode). Maybe one of the startups throws a monkey wrench. Very often the AV program is the culprit for such unexplainable behavior. But it could be many other things. You did the right thing by rebooting.

Posted 1 year ago

cjoy

hope this problem will be solve. coz its a big help to others who encountered the same issue.....

Posted 1 year ago

LEECAD

It has not happened since the time I posted this. Like I said it was after a reboot that it happened. Now come to think of it, I noticed on the taskbar by the clock, that a few things were not loaded for some reason. The INtel storage and INtel graphic icons were not there when I rebooted. Why they were not there and why they did not load before I rebooted I dont know, but I make sure they are there when I do shut down or reboot. If not, I wait to make sure everything loads up before I panick and do a shutdown like I did. This might help for those that know more than I do. Which are probably school grade kids. LOL Hahahahahahahahahaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Happy Holidays everyone.

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

LEECAD, I think you are on the right road but the most important thing is to look at your app / programs and consider whether you actually need any of them in the first place.

What ain't there can't autostart!

With HP especially I would uninstall with this free program; http://www.softpedia.com/get/T.....ller.shtml

Allow the uninstaller to complete and don't restart on the initial uninstall phase ( reboot now, click no )

Mike

Posted 1 year ago

LEECAD

It happened again. In the last day or so that I have rebooted and some of the "Notification Area Icons" did not load. In my previous post I mentioned about desktop icons and other things not showing up. That did not happen this time, but like I said, there were several Notification area icons that did load up. One was the Microsoft Security Essentials, Realtex HD Audio Mananger, and Intel HD Graphics. Everything seemed to work OK even though these icons didnt load.
Then, just now after a Spyware scan and removal I had to reboot and the INtel HD Graphics icon did not load in the Notification Area beside the clock. Everything seems to working OK when these icons dont load. I am OCD though about these things and if they should be there, then I want them there or I feel like it is not right. Like I said, my O.C.D. kicking in.

Does anyone know what can be causing this. I can reboot again and sometimes everything loads OK and sometimes it takes a couple reboots to have all the icons there. I dont know if its bad to keep restarting or not just to make sure all the icons are there or not. I just need some help and reassuring with this as to what could be causing this.
And is it OK that after a restart if these icons do not load, is that a problem or just let it go as long as computer runs OK?

SOrry for the long rambling and babbling on and on.

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

LEECAD ,

Sometimes this happens to me, when it does I right click the Task bar and select Properties,

Then Notification tab, Customize.

Then I look through the list to see if any changes have been made to the items I keep on Show. (sometimes they revert back to Hide when inactive).

Apply, OK, then restart computer.

That tends to clear it for me.

Posted 1 year ago

germ-x
germ-x

Try rebuilding the icon db cache. Delete it then restart your system.
Located in C:\Users\User-Name\AppData\Local\IconCache.db
http://www.sevenforums.com/tut.....build.html

Posted 1 year ago

LEECAD

Guilty Spark,

I have tried that, but when the HP Graphic didnt load, it is not even there. SO I dont know. Or any of the other ones when they dont load. The only thing I can do is to just keep going and see what happens.

Germ-X, WHen I went there, it said that any changes could damage the system and I do not know enough to mess with anything like that.

I have a question though, is it bad to restart the computer to many times one after the other till they all load?

Posted 1 year ago

germ-x
germ-x

Your really not giving windows time to straighten itself out sort of if you keep doing that. There might be some driver that is corrupt that is causing your icons to load slow. Again you can google "Rebuilding winddows icon database". Not that difficult and it might resolve your problem
http://www.sevenforums.com/tut.....build.html

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.