SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Off Topic

What Are Your Thoughts About Games Like These .....

(14 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by vistual
  • Latest reply from warlock
  • Topic Viewed 428 times

vistual
vistual

source: posted about 5 hours ago - by Lori Kaufman, right on htg home page ...

The Best Free Online First Person Shooter (FPS) Games

the ones featured in that article are probably nothing compared to the ones that i see commercials of and i dont want to necessarily name any simply as to not promote them or credit them in any way. ive seen commercials for some of these games that seriously leave me thinking WTF?! If theres any gamers here im sure you know well which ones im referring to and feel free to name them if you want. They're based around all kinds of gangs & criminal activity, "blood, gore, torture, swearing, guns, violence," Bla, Bla, Bla, Bla, Bla, Bla, Bla, Bla, Bla, Bla, Bla, Bla, Bla, Bla.....
(that last bit quoted directly from a site dedicated to the support of a certain game console / games, etc.,et..)
If it were up to me, i wouldnt allow these games. I know they wont be allowed in my house thats for sure. Same gos for so much of whats offered on TV and the radio. from hip hop to pop theres trash being injected into the minds of so many young impressionable minds. And this comes from someone who loves hip-hop and grew up listening to it, but who also is mindful enough to realize how so much of this s#!! can influence peoples ideas, points of views, etc.,.
whoa! got off track there, but what do you all think?

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

I think it's just a game. When it turns to reallity is the problem.

Posted 1 year ago

ProstheticHead
ProstheticHead

I like games of all kinds, even violent ones. Those types of games will always have an age rating, and should not be sold to or bought for anyone below that age. That said, IMO it should be up to the parents to regulate what their kids get up to.

Posted 1 year ago

vistual
vistual

i can respect that. im sure there might be others / many others that maybe share that same point of view. thanks.

Posted 1 year ago

Scott
Scott

I think there's more harmful 'material' on good ol G-rated Google than just about anywhere.
No, not pr0n, I meant harmful.

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

I agree that "it should be up to the parents to regulate what their kids get up to." Unfortunately, not all do. The parents that don't should be held responsible and pay the consequences but, instead, everyone tries deal with the symptom, not the problem. Example: underage smoking and drinking. Enforcement in the U.S. is directed at the person selling the tobacco and alcohol. Overzealous law enforcement agencies concoct elaborate (i.e. sneaky) sting operations that nail many store clerks who, in the heat of rush business, accidently make a sale to someone who is barely underaged. The poor clerk usually loses her/his job and get charged with anything from a midemeanor to a felony. The kids who try to buy the alcohol or tobacco, often with a fake ID (which, in many jurisdictions, is a felony), get off with a slap on the wrist and the record of the bust either sealed or expunged when they turn 18 or 21. The underaged kid who is trying to buy alcohol or tobacco should have to take far more responsibility for their actions, not some poor shmoe trying to eek out a living.

The ultimate responsibility, however, belongs on the shoulders of the parents. If the parents had to serve the same penalties their kids should for their crimes, I'll wager a most, if not all, the problems in society would clear up in two or three generations. People would think twice before bringing children into the world.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

I'll wager a most, if not all, the problems in society would clear up in two or three generations. People would think twice before bringing children into the world.

It's not how many times they think. but which organ they are thinking with!

Posted 1 year ago

vistual
vistual

while i posted this i knew this could be a pretty slippery slope but i was pretty charged emotionally from the incident the day before. i know this rabbit hole gets deeper and deeper and deeper but i just couldnt exercise the sufficient amount of self control.

"The ultimate responsibility, however, belongs on the shoulders of the parents."

thats really what it comes down to, yes i agree. i know. but parents / most adults are too busy wrapped up in life and work and are hardly ever present so are mostly unaware of what their children are doing or where they are. back in the day parents were role models. they or at least one, was almost always present. its almost like the ones (referring to my / our own experiences here) who struggle to still be a proactive are fighting a losing battle. you try to do the right thing. you try to monitor what they watch and listen to. you try to lead by example. you try and try only to find that they're experiencing and being exposed to the very things that you are avoiding at home - right in school. right on the school bus on their way to and from school. right in the playground of the school. *Everybody's not on the same page so .....
i can go on and on and give examples of things that my daughter has told us, when we're sitting at the dinner table, that she hears and sees - I CAN, but whats the point. Everybody's not on the same page and too many people belittle the importance of too many things. we're growing up in societies where people dont talk - they text, for gods sake. in societies where gods not even in the equation. people dont take responsibility for raising their kids because they think the government has their best interest in mind and that it will. alright im gonna stop right there folks cause i feel a rant coming on! LOL!

Posted 1 year ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

Well actually the human kind is an aggressive species. That's in their nature and for all eaternity it needed an outlet.
In the good old days of the Romans you took some gladiators, slave, christans, lions etc. and threw them in a pit and watched to see what happened.
To make it a bit more interesting you also made up some rules so the fight would take a bit longer than just mere slaughter.
Before the games, they had war to get rid of their surplus testosteron.
And after the games Western society more or less reverted back to simply enjoying war.
For just about any other culture in the world it is the same (there are a few exceptions, but they are scarce and mostly come from regions where live is so dangerous no extra loss of human live could be risked - as soon as life get's good war pops it's ugly head up).

These days we don't have immediate cause to fight, but in a large part of the population (not all, genetics gave warprone individuals a higher survival chance in the past, but now it is the opposite - society tends to lockup or send away people with too high testosteron levels, leaving the easy going types to be the ones getting offspring, so in theorie the people with low level testosteron should take over in time) needs an outlet for their aggression.
That's why it is often good for children to take up a sport like martial arts.
It sééms an agressive sport, but most children develop healthier and more balanced than they were before they joined.

These games you talk about are just a way of giving outlet to the high testosteron levels.
Actually they are not all bad - people that play games are able to focus on several tasks at once and are more controlled in their movements.

I do agree though most should be monitored when being used by (young) children, since their brains haven't fully developed yet and their perception of things is often different from the adult point of view. They are also not truly capable of making the distinction between 'a game' and reality.
That doesn't mean they will start to treat reality as in the game, but more that the game will affect their sense of security and safety in reality.

The ones that become so distorted in their view of the world as to do crazy things, are not so because these games are bad. There is just something wrong with these people to start with.
Did you know that most people that are a bit 'off' and do crazy things, have often been shunned in life, because people sensed something was wrong with them to start with, but that they go overboard, because they feel excluded, shunned, pitied or have been targeted and made fun off.

So the best thing we can all do is care for the people around us. Also the ones that are different. Not out of pity and certainly not out of fear.
But because that is what society is about: people together. In all their shapes and sizes. And only if all members of society truly feel they are a member of that society will they respect and cherish it.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

I don't think the guys in the trenches, in the 1st WW enjoyed it much.

Posted 1 year ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

If you're on the losing end it is never enjoyable. Doesn't alter the fact that there will always be people spoiling for a fight. Society needs to find a way to channel that (here in Holland we're not doing so great when it comes to that at the moment: teens kill linesman).

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

Doesn't seem like much of a penalty for killing someone.

Posted 1 year ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

@ warlock - That's if they are judged as minors. The story is still unfolding as there have been more arrests, also of a dad, so I don't think it will be over and done with with just that.

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

Part of the problem. Kids are not afraid as they used to be.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!