The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

what are torrents?

(7 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Meghan
  • Latest reply from BobJam
  • Topic Viewed 859 times

Meghan

is downloading torrents bad for your computer? what about torrent enablers? what exactly is a torrent? a fileshare?

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

Torrents can be bad because illegal downloads can contain malware.
Some reading below will give you an idea as to how torrents work.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BitTorrent

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L.....BitTorrent

Posted 1 year ago

owen123
owen123

Torrents are not Illegal, but mainly used for illegal purposes.

Posted 1 year ago

Flanders2
Flanders2

Torrents can store a large amount of files such as music, a movie etc. The things you download can be illegal such as movies that are out in theaters still, and music that has been copyrighted. But using a torrent isn't illegal. They can contain malware or viruses if you don't be careful what you download. I used them when i was younger but got in a little bit of trouble with them my ISP and stopped before anything serious happened.

Posted 1 year ago

evanderv
evanderv

torrents are great way to get maximum speeds for a download. I use it when I want to download a new Linux distro. A lot of distro's have this option like Ubuntu. How they work is people (like you and me) will already have the file downloaded and they will have there torrent program set to allow it to upload to other people. With everyone sharing this file it allows you to use there upload connection to download to you. The more people that are sharing it the faster the speeds can get. Of course you can only go as fast as your ISP alows but it sure beats HTML of FTP connections IMO.

Posted 1 year ago

ProstheticHead
ProstheticHead

Unless you know what you're doing, leave well alone.

Posted 1 year ago

BobJam
BobJam

ProstheticHead gives good advice. There be dragons out there!

Seriously, unless you're into heavy downloads of music and video, AND as PH said, you know what you're doing, best to stay away from these things. Yes, it is "legal" to use torrent software (it comes packaged in Ubuntu), but it's often a nest for malware.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!