SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

What Are Some Windows Movie Maker Alternatives ....

(15 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by vistual
  • Latest reply from vistual
  • Topic Viewed 5570 times

vistual
vistual

hey gang, what are some windows movie maker alternatives?
what are your thoughts on cyberlink and sony vegas ? any others?
are they like over-kill?

running vista home premium 32bit

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Here is a lossless editor - very fast: http://www.machetesoft.com/ - Read the manual, there are some restrictions.

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

There are a TON out there... but basically it depends on what input files you have and what you want to produce?

I'm using a few, depending on need and amount of 'work' needed to be done?

Sothink's Movie DVD Maker
Pinnacle Studio
An OLD version of Nero

I do have others, but those 3, depending on what needs to be done (from simple conversion to extensive cutting, overlays, and adding music/sound overs).

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

vistual
vistual

definitely two guys that id hoped to hear from ...
thanks for chiming in. sorry not following up sooner ...

ill read a little more about the ones you mentioned. but something ispalten mentioned raised another question - is it possible to expect any of the ones mentioned (do one of these?) allow editing, ie; splitting, merging, adding audio, removing audio, transitions, effects, etc.,etc.. WITHOUT having to set all the parameters for the final output all over again.

ispalten - you said "it depends on what input files you have" - so lets say i have .mp4's, now is it realistic to expect to want to do all the editing i mentioned above and keep the original files parameters (*compression, *frame rate, *aspect ratio, *container, etc.,etc..).

basically i dont want to have to learn the science behind each of the parameters i mentioned (*) but simply be able to do what i want, finish the project and move on.

will check out the suggestions you guys made - any other are much welcomed.
thanks for the feedback guys.

Posted 1 year ago

hatryst
hatryst

I use iMovie. What's wrong with Windows Movie Maker? (not Windows LIVE Movie Maker, I know that one is useless!)

Posted 1 year ago

vistual
vistual

hey hatty! w'sup?! : )
windows movie maker i have - came w/ my vista - have used it in the past and still do sometimes but heres what i get at the moment, the file type isn't supported ... (file from my cam lol)

Posted 1 year ago

hatryst
hatryst

I'm fine :)
I encounter the same error at times. Just convert it to wmv with default quality settings, and you're good!

Posted 1 year ago

vistual
vistual

Just convert it to wmv - how?

Posted 1 year ago

hatryst
hatryst

Oh sorry, forgot to mention that. Format Factory :)

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Here is a little video tutorial to show you how to operate Format Factory: https://vimeo.com/9283805

Posted 1 year ago

vistual
vistual

okay so four converters later and format factory produced the results that i might not find too bad compared to the original.
( shhhh - i have a bunch of these stashed in a folder that i have created portables of from when they've become available on GAOTD, so i tried Format Factory, Aiseesoft Total Video Converter, WinX HD Video Converter Deluxe, Wondershare Video Converter Platinum )
all of them, though failed to produce what to my eye, i would consider the same quality in the wmv format as the .mp4.

and see thats where i have a problem with. it would be nice if the settings were truly automatic and copied from the original source file.
i can assure you that neither did that. i had all the original files properties opened for me to view in a different window (using mediainfo).

but ff produced the closest to my eyes satisfaction. so i will play with that a a little.

in the meantime - will also check out the suggestions made before as id rather skip this step of converting to a different format (and losing quality) only to settle for what WMM has to offer. personally feel like im ready for something else anyway with a little more power and features and input / output "umph!' if you know what i mean. ..
will post back to let you guys know how i get a long. thanks again for the feedback. oh and thanks for the link to your vid too Wolfman.

Posted 1 year ago

hatryst
hatryst

The tip to getting nearly the same (if not exactly the same) quality as the source file is:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/19454109/formatf.png

(photobucket isn't opening, dunno why, so here's the dropbox link)

Posted 1 year ago

vistual
vistual

oh boy! ... if i had hair on my head ....
after all that ....

the file was sitting here since i went through the conversion this morning and only just a few minutes ago, got a chance to try'n it out.
gotta start more seriously looking at one of those alternatives.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

This looks like Vista. If you are on Windows 7, use the Windows Live Movie Maker. It has more Codecs.

Posted 1 year ago

vistual
vistual

yes vista.
but im gonna seriously look at those alternatives when i have a chance.

i ended up using my camtasia - but it also is not without its limitations.
end result.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.