SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

What Anti virus are you running with Windows 7 X64?

(8 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by InDiSent
  • Latest reply from nikhil2761115
  • Topic Viewed 2117 times

InDiSent
InDiSent

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to throw this out there to see what anti virus the windows 7 X64 users are using and if/why you like it.

Posted 4 years ago

whs
whs

I run Kaspersky IS09. Seems to be OK. But I am behind a router. So I already have a lot of protection from the router firewall.

Posted 4 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

I'm running Avira AntiVir Personal, the free edition, under 64-bit Windows 7. It sits there quietly, except for the big nag requester which shows about once a day. It doesn't seem to slow down my system, as far as I can tell. Like whs, I have other protections so I'm not terribly worried about infection.

However, Avira AntiVir does not run natively in 64-bit mode. I would like to have a native 64-bit AV program, but I don't know if any of the free ones do that. Maybe I'll try Avast sometime, since they do talk about x64 support.

Posted 4 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

BTW, I just happened upon this thread started by Scott which shows that Microsoft Security Essentials is now out of beta and the final version is available. When I went to the download page, it provides a different version for 64-bit Vista and 7 than for the 32-bit Vista and 7. The XP version is 32-bit only, no big surprise.

I haven't installed it yet to verify this, but it would appear that this will be a free, 64-bit AV for Windows 7 x64.

Posted 4 years ago

InDiSent
InDiSent

Yeah, i read about Windows Security essentials. I'll wait for some reviews before trying it. I usually use Symantec corporate antivirus. That's what i am using now (x64 version) 10.2.0.298. The weird thing is that in the X64 version i can't right click on a file and choose scan for viruses. Also, Outlook doesn't like it...something about the plugin.

I know they just release a new version of Endpoint that supposed to work with Windows 7 X64. I'll hopefully try it out soon.

Posted 4 years ago

Shkumbin
Shkumbin

On my Win 7 x64 Ultimate, I am running KIS 2010, and I'm very satisfied with it, works great, and very great features on it!

Thanks.

Posted 4 years ago

ryant

eset nod32

Posted 4 years ago

nikhil2761115
nikhil2761115

i run kaspersky internet security 2010... its the best...

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!