• Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 1794 times

whs
whs

http://arstechnica.com/microso.....plorer.ars

Posted 4 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

I don't think that this is a problem. I kind of like the way that Microsoft has unbundled the applications that are now part of the Windows Live suite -- Photo Gallery, Movie Maker, etc. Now IE8, in a way, is unbundled as well. You can choose your browser and anyone who is, for example, a die-hard Firefox-only user can uninstall IE if they never plan to use it.

The only problems is if you get a new computer with Windows 7 E, which browser do you use to download the browser of your choice? :-)

Posted 4 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

And why can't I buy a mac without crappy safari? Unfair prosecution.

Posted 4 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

@The Geek, because Apple doesn't wield monopoly power in the marketplace and Microsoft (sort-of) does.

I thought that when you buy a Mac it's understood that you are getting a proprietary, closed system with Apple-only software tying. At least until they started making the Wintel Macs. OK, honestly I don't know spit about Macs. :O

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Maybe FTP to server in Dos Emulator and transfer Browser of choice Installation File ?? (LOL)

Posted 4 years ago

whs
whs

The mess is the suggestion that they need to ship an initial browser on a CD. That is ridiculous. I think they should have allowed at least a rudimentary browser with the initial W7 shipment so that one can get started.

Posted 4 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

whs, isn't that a mess that the EU brought on itself? They sued Microsoft for bundling (tying) the Internet Explorer browser with sales of Windows. MS has removed the offending browser that caused the tying. If MS had included even a rudimentary browser, they could face more litigation from the EU.

File this under "be careful what you wish for"!

Posted 4 years ago

whs
whs

ScottW, you are absolutely right - but I did not wish for that. There are things that make sense and those that do not make sense. And this is carrying the legalities too far because it makes it inconvenient for the consumer. I think it was the Mozilla people that started that mess (not the EU by themselves) and they were then joined by others.

Posted 4 years ago

madmacs
madmacs

If you ask me it´s rubbish. (put politely). There´s no way MS is going to bring out an OS without a browser!!

Posted 4 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Matt, are you aware that MS has been repeatedly fined by the EU for a grand total of 2.5 *Billion* USD? It's a wonder that they even do business in the EU. How many copies of Windows 7 will they need to sell to make up for a loss of $2,500,000,000 ? :O

(Source: http://news.cnet.com/8301-10784_3-9880256-7.html )

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

NO sympathy for MS here.
EU needs to lay it on them again by twice as much !!
Same for US but that wil never happen. :(

Posted 4 years ago

madmacs
madmacs

Scott, yes I´m aware of of that!! BUT... do you really think MS want to loose any more on the market concerning browsers? Ofcourse not, they have been loosing ground year after year when it comes to FF. Putting an OS out without a browser is just begging for a loss. The main marketing strategy for MS at the moment is the net, it´s what they need, be it with cloud computing, online apps and so on. The only way they can advertise properly (should I say daily) is with their own browser, which needs to be worldwide.

Posted 4 years ago

whs
whs

The story continues: http://arstechnica.com/microso.....ws-7-e.ars

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

Europe needs more money is all.

Posted 4 years ago

madmacs
madmacs

O, come on!! Stop the sh.. stirring. I promise I will eat my pants, lol if it is so!!! Now back to the reality!!

Posted 4 years ago

Raven
Raven

maybe im dumb and blonde(dont answer that) but how must you download a browser with no browser

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

With a browser.

Posted 4 years ago

madmacs
madmacs

Raven, there are many ways. External HD, USB stick, DVD, etc..
A browser isn´t big ;)

Posted 4 years ago

Raven
Raven

thats the answer ive been looking for

Posted 4 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

I propose a new plan for Europe that I call Windows 7 MOSAIC edition. This edition of Windows 7 will come with all of the available browsers pre-installed. MOSAIC stands for:

Mozilla Firefox
Opera
Safari
All the rest
Internet Explorer
Chrome

:-)

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!