SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

What´s the best (most user friendly) VM to run?

(72 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by madmacs
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 7712 times

madmacs
madmacs

Hi all, so I´ve had a copy of Win 7 beta sitting here waiting to be tried out and recently posted how I should install. The Geek suggested running it in a Virtual Machine, so how do I do that, and what would you all suggest using? (I have never used VM´s before). HD space isn´t a problem so I could move things around to create enough needed. Thx in advance, Matt

EDIT: How much space would be needed to try out games, programs, etc.?

Posted 5 years ago

LH
LH

I've used this one a couple of times. Very user friendly. But I'm no expert with it, so don't ask me anything technical.
http://www.virtualbox.org/

Posted 5 years ago

madmacs
madmacs

Thx LH, one question though (nothing too technical), will I have to make a seperate partition in order to use a VM?

Posted 5 years ago

LH
LH

No. This one creates a large folder/file on your system partition. The size, you can set yourself, or use the default.

Posted 5 years ago

madmacs
madmacs

Cheers, I´ll give it a try.

Posted 5 years ago

LH
LH

I will be needing to use one in a week or 2. So,if I have any problems, I will come to you :)

Posted 5 years ago

madmacs
madmacs

Yeah right, pull the other one ;)

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

LH, what happens when you close the virtual partition - does everything disappear (like e.g. in Sandboxy). So next time you have to start from scratch. I am asking because I was considering the virtual approach (or the USB approach) for W7.

Posted 5 years ago

LH
LH

See. You're all getting technical already :) . As I said, I only used it twice. And that was to check out some things in 2 other different versions of Vista other than that which I have installed. So, I deleted everything entirely after each test. But I believe it does hold the OS if you want it to. Will check it out in a couple of weeks :)

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

OK, thanks.

Posted 5 years ago

madmacs
madmacs

@whs, I tried it out and the O/S definitely stays installed after rebooting. I haven´t yet installed any programs/ games into it yet as I don´t have much time this weekend but I will give them a go start of next week.

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

Thanks Matt, when you have gathered a little experience, give us a little run down.

Posted 5 years ago

0zSpitt
0zSpitt

i've installed it, seems simple enough. can i install linux without grub getting onto my hard drive?

Posted 5 years ago

LH
LH

You don't need grub, do you ? You are not multi booting.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Oz, if you install Linux in a Virtual Machine session, then GRUB will be installed inside the VM Disk file or whatever storage is allocated to the VM for Linux. It will not put GRUB on your hard drive, overwriting the MBR, as long as you run the installer inside the VM.

EDIT: that's a little confusing. GRUB will be installed on your hard drive but only inside the VM storage space, not on the real (non-virtual) drive.

Posted 5 years ago

0zSpitt
0zSpitt

if i decide to remove linux, nothing will be left on the computer?

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Oz, I see that what I wrote is still confusing. If you want to get rid of Linux or Win7 or any other OS installed in a VM, you delete that VM session and it is ALL gone. Nothing of Linux, not even GRUB, will be left behind.

Posted 5 years ago

0zSpitt
0zSpitt

i wasn't confused, just making sure :P

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

ScottW, Does that mean that it would not be a good idea to install W7 under VM? If you constantly switch between VM and the host system (Vista in my case), you imply that everything you do in W7 under VM (e.g. downloading addl. programs) would be for the birds and next time you have to start all over again - right? So that would be similar to installing W7 on a USB stick (I have not done that yet but I made this experience with my Fedora on the USB).

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

whs, you could use a VM to test out Win7 and you would not lose your changes each time. The Virtual Machine (VM) creates a virtual disk drive. Whether this is actually just stored in a file or uses an empty partition only matters to the software managing the VM. The Win7, or other, OS that is installed inside the VM sees the virtual disk drive as a disk drive. It has an MBR, partition tables, and all the rest. When you write data or make changes these are written to, for example, the C: drive as far as Win7 will know. When you shut down -- virtually shut down -- Win7, the VM session closes but all of the data saved to the virtual disk drive is still there. The next time you (virtually) boot Win7, it reads the partition table, finds the C: drive and reads it's data just as it was.

One drawback to running Win7 in a VM is that you won't experience the changes in speed. So, you won't know how fast Win7 will boot, shutdown, or run on your actual hardware only on the virtual hardware.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!