The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Weird Networking Issue: Wireless OK; Wired NOT

(3 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by Butch25852
  • Latest reply from kwe
  • Topic Viewed 899 times

Butch25852

I have a Win 7 Eee PC that can connect to my wireless network and access files on my Digital Storm Win 7 box just fine (the folders I shared.) However, when I try to connect using an Ethernet cable, it doesn't see the Digital Storm on the network, but it can get out to the Internet.

Obciously I'm missing something regarding the difference between how wireless and wired are treated somewhere. HELP!

butch

Posted 4 years ago

ProstheticHead
ProstheticHead

Hi Butch. That's weird.. Can you PING the desktop PC from your Eee using the wired connection?

Posted 4 years ago

kwe

Most wireless routers put the wireless and the wired networks together on the same IP subnet. Perhaps yours is different? Check your IP addresses on both units. If they are both, for example, 192.168.1.x with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0, then they should work, but if they are 192.168.1.x on one and 192.168.100.x on the other, then homegroup sharing won't work as easily.

If you find them on different subnets, it would probably be easiest to modify your router configuration to put wired and wireless together again on the same subnet.

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!