The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

(Solved) - Weird message from Windows

(13 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Noel8
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 632 times

Noel8

I have 2 hd's in my system desktop. Lately, as I boot up and during being on line, I get a constant message that my disk is low in memory...what is puzzling me is I am only using my C drive and the message is referring to another partiton on the other hd..I am not using that drive...why would I get such a message on and on?

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse

Please post an image of your Disk Management window.

Posted 1 year ago

Noel8

I made a mistake it says that my D drive is lacking space...delete files you don't need. When I click on the message another box appears when I chose to view files and its my C Drive that appears...I hope this is not the result of just reinstalling my image file and somehow both drives merged in some way, although the manage depiction shows them on different disks. BTW, how does one upload a picture in this forum...never had to before. Thanks

Posted 1 year ago

whs

My guess would be that your D partition is the recovery partition that you are not supposed to touch. But you apparently stored stuff there. Remove what is not part of the recovery system.

Posted 1 year ago

Noel8

I don't understand what your saying...my recovery had nothing to do with the D partition...I only had the C drive done on one HD. Why should I be warned on low disk space of my partition D, when i am not even using it and its on another hd?.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse

Your D drive could very well be a hidden recovery partition. On another drive ? Please explain your setup a little more, or even better, post an image of your Disk Management window.

Posted 1 year ago

Santo

This usually happens if the Microsoft Backup Utility is enabled and it is saving the backup files to the D partition(Recovery Partition). Have a look at this technical article.

Posted 1 year ago

whs

Best is you post a full picture of your Disk Management. Then we'll see.

And Santo is right. The default partition for backups is D (it is a long story why that is so). And if you backed up data without changing the partition assignment, then you stuff the D partition.

Posted 1 year ago

germ-x

Your referencing partitions and HDD's.
What drive or partition is your image for your O/S stored?
What drive or partition are you getting the warning for?
Did your system come preloaded with windows x?

Posted 1 year ago

Noel8

http://i349.photobucket.com/al.....eb5Man.jpg

I did not use Microsoft's backup...I used Norton's Ghost for an image file of my C drive only. At that time the C drive was the sole possessor of that drive. My D partition was soley on my second HD. Since restoring my image file , I did create another partition on my C drive HD..."E".

Posted 1 year ago

whs

Well. the D partition is full - that's for sure. Why don't you open it and see what's on it.

Posted 1 year ago

Noel8

Well. the D partition is full - that's for sure. Why don't you open it and see what's on it. >>>>

Yes, its almost full. I do have a Win7 recovery file, which has nothing to do with my recent recovery of XP. I do see Norton Ghost and the image file there that I restored. I had no idea when I made the recovery file that it would go to another partition. At that time, My C drive was alone on the full hd which had no partition at the time..so I guess it went to my second hD. What would have happened if I only had that one HD? I guess I would have received a error message. It makes sense now...I couldn't restore it on the same HD, unless I had another partition, so it went to my D Drive. But aside from that, why would I keep getting that message of "Lacking space" when I am not using it, or is the recovery due to that D drive? What would happen if I delete Norton Ghost or at least move it to another partition?

Posted 1 year ago

whs

I give up.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.