How-To Geek Forums / Windows 8

websites blocked

(5 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Acid
  • Latest reply from vistamike
  • Topic Viewed 1453 times

Acid
Acid

I cant access the internet in my office I am using the given proxy (http://igu-proxy01.whirlpool.com/proxy.pac). is there any way to unblock the necessary site like gmail, Hotmail etc.
If I open a website, browser shows the message like this

" Request Blocked by URL Filter Database

Your request to URL "http://www.google.co.in/" has been blocked by the McAfee Web Gateway URL Filter Database. The URL is listed under categories (Search Engines), which are not allowed by your administrator at this time. The following reputation level was assigned to it: Trusted.
URL Filter Database serial number: 38082
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
generated 28/Jan/2013:15:57:47 +0530 by wwapp (McAfee Web Gateway 6.9.3 Build 13514) "

Othe error message shows like this

""""""" here is a problem with this website's security certificate.
The security certificate presented by this website was not issued by a trusted certificate authority.
Security certificate problems may indicate an attempt to fool you or intercept any data you send to the server.
We recommend that you close this webpage and do not continue to this website.
Recommended iconClick here to close this webpage.

Not recommended iconContinue to this website (not recommended). """"""""""

&&&& the third one is like this

"""""Request Blocked by URL Filter Database

Your request to URL "https://mail.google.com:443" has been blocked by the McAfee Web Gateway URL Filter Database. The URL is listed under categories (Web Mail), which are not allowed by your administrator at this time. The following reputation level was assigned to it: Neutral.
URL Filter Database serial number: 38082
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
generated 28/Jan/2013:16:00:35 +0530 by wwapp (McAfee Web Gateway 6.9.3 Build 13514) """"

Posted 1 year ago

Santo
Santo

The access to internet is restricted by your office IT Administrator. To get access you will have to contact your office IT department.

Posted 1 year ago

presence1960
presence1960

As a manager in a large corporation I can tell you they do not want you accessing the internet except for sites that have a true business purpose. The two main reasons are it exposes the network to threats and loss of productivity on your part.

Posted 1 year ago

doctordeere
doctordeere

Your higher-ups put those restrictions in place for good reasons. There's always a way around it, but your IT gurus will easily spot it. Which, in turn, could (and rightfully should) lead to your immediate termination.

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

In a nutshell, Companies have to protect their business / client partners and that is why certain restrictions are put in place. It be part of a contract that the restrictions are put in place.

In attempting to override these restrictions it is considered as 'gross misconduct' and (in the UK) gives you instant dismissal if you try to circumvent company security systems.

Using a business computer other than for pure business work definitely requires 'termination' (of contract of employment).

The internet / web is a tool for business and not a toy.

Play by the rules and you might even reach pension status!

Mike

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.