The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

webcam suddenly not detected on hp windows7

(29 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by onestepawayfromarmageddon
  • Latest reply from G41M
  • Topic Viewed 2517 times

digitalagent

The driver you are seeing is for the Cyberlink Virtual Webcam. You should have an option like g41m mentioned for "Imaging Devices". Any laptop with an integrated webcam would have that listed under device manager. Try heading over to HP's website and typing in your model of laptop, choose the correct operating system and download and install the driver and see what that does. If that doesn't work, along with file consistency checks etc, you can always fall back to doing a system restore to out of the box condition. At that point if there still is an issue, then more than likely the internal camera hardware has failed and either needs to be replaced by HP if under warranty, or just buy an external webcam.

Posted 1 year ago

onestepawayfromarmageddon

if i am not wrong, the system image tool is sort of like a "Complete PC Backup" feature, which can be used to recover the entire c drive in case of a hard drive failure or other disaster.
i just plagarized this previous sentence from a webpage.

IF it happens to be a viral infection that caused the webcam/sony program to stop working, and system restore (although capable of getting the computer to a point before the virus infected the c drive), is not able to reverse the effects of the virus - maybe because it only make certain changes to windows, but the infection goes deeper, or goes to some part of the system that is not rolled back. will going to retrieve a complete system image be able to wipe out the effects of the infection?
if for example, the virus (or whatever other thing it is that) has somehow killed the webcam driver, is that original driver imaged into system image, such that when i recover the computer using that, then the driver will reappear in device manager, and work fine again (as well as hopefully the sony program) - that is to say, that somehow using system image, that we can precede (and somehow remove) the virus? or even after system image recovery, the virus is still stuck in there?

does this line of thinking (from a non-computer-genius) make sense?

Posted 1 year ago

thanks digitalagent for your post. will go over to hp now. will let you know the results of your suggestion.

i do understand what you say: worst case, i do have the install discs to fall back on. just trying to find other ways to solve the problem right now -
only, not so familiar with "file consistency checks" :-)
thanks for your reassuring advice..

Posted 1 year ago

...only, not so familiar with "file consistency checks" :-)
and in what order they should be done...
thanks everyone for your help and for tuning in over the holidays!

Posted 1 year ago

digitalagent

For "file consistency checks" i was referring to when you run the command "sfc /scannow" in command prompt. That command goes through and checks/repairs important Window system files. Sometimes it can be helpful, but the majority of the time it wont fix whatever your specific problem is. Normally it's something greater causing the issue. The best thing to do, is try to re-install the driver from HP. If that doesn't work, you can always try a restore point to a previous time when you know the camera was working. Worst case scenario is to do a full system re-image from recovery media/recovery partion. All else fails, the actual webcam hardware has failed.

Posted 1 year ago

hi digitalagent,

on the hp site, there are no webcam drivers offered for my version notebook.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfr.....ct=5169347
i had read previously on a post/blog somewhere, someone (same problem - hp integrated webcam not working, and no driver id'd in device manager) who had found the same thing: no webcam driver available for hp windows 7.

further, on an hp troubleshooting page (for my version hp notebook), it tells me (for problems related to no webcam appearing in device manager) to remove battery, disconnect power cord, press start button for 10 secs, then reconnect battery and power cord. then try device manager again. if still no listing, then select "action", "scan for hardware changes". "If Device Manager does not recognize the webcam after the scan, Use Microsoft System Restore to go back to a time when the Webcam was working properly. If problems persist, the webcam may have become unplugged internally and requires service."

Posted 1 year ago

so at this point, from the next steps that you had listed, digitalagent, i am now down/going next on to system restore back to late september (when i know the webcam did work). but when i had previously tried to do that (before ultimately going with just a system restore back to november), my system restore said (and still now says) that the restore point comes from a system image (restore point). presumably this is referring to a point when i made a "system image". so if i go back to that restore point, does this mean that it is more than just a system restore, it is actually a "complete pc backup"/"full system re-image"? just wanted to check that, and to see if i need to do any precautionary things in case it turns out to be the latter.

Posted 1 year ago

i think my question essentially has to do with this line of reasoning. are there any other things i can do (to try to fix the problem now) before/as opposed to sending in for service (as so advised by hp site), such as

1. chkdsk C: /R
2. following up on trying to fix the sfc scannow "cannot repair" file member. if someone can please help me to decipher the cannot-be-repaired string, and to translate that into the file and path required, and also how and where to find a "good copy" of that file. (previously last year, guiltyspark and ultimatepsv helped me to fix a problem on my previous notebook by going to the recovery disc x (windows vista), doing a dir search, and copying the required files onto the c drive)
3. using system image backup recovery (as mentioned by you, digitalagent).
4. "repair your computer".
5. reinstall of original windows discs.
6. "last known good configuration" (but i do not know if windows will recognize at what point the webcam driver stopped working)
7. other...?

so what i am trying to figure out, is what are the things i might possibly be able to do, and whether these things that are listed above would be useful in addressing the problematic issues, and if they are, where should they fall in the increasing line of fallback options (that is to say, in what order i should use them).

one of the reasons that i am trying to go with this line of reasoning, is that i do have another problem with a sony program on my computer, which i do not know if is related to this webcam problem or not. so it is not just to do with webcam, but also trying to solve issue with windows-as-regards-to-why-sony-program-not-working.

(let's say for instance, the webcam problem is mechanical, then no amount of file consistency checking or problem resolution (for example, cmd prompt) would solve it. but they might lead to solving the windows-sony-program problem (especially if what sfc has detected is actually the cause of the problem).
likewise, if i just send in the webcam for physical servicing, it may solve that, but it won't get me the sony program working.
and IF it is a viral infection (or some other unknown, but not so malicious cause) that has somehow disabled both tools, then maybe one or other of the above (or maybe some other solution that the engineering superpowers at htg might know of,) might actually be able to solve the problems.

any thoughts anyone?

Posted 1 year ago

G41M

Seems like you are not 100% positive your system is clean, so maybe doing a full-scan for any malicious infections should be the first thing to do. Use Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, install, update and do a full scan.

The sfc log file is normally found in %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. It would be a long, large file. To find out only those that fail, open an elevated command prompt, type findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log >%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt and press Enter. Open the sfcdetails.txt now found in your desktop and post the problematic entries.

Doing a chkdsk C: /R is also a good idea.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.