How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

WD TV Live causing wireless to drop on Laptop and PC

(8 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by gedstar
  • Latest reply from gedstar
  • Topic Viewed 390 times

gedstar
gedstar

This is a question for afuhnk or anyone else that may be able to help.
Bought a WD TV Live Streaming Media Player and have to say is works wonderful, thanks to afuhnk for directing me to it. Great piece of kit.
Now I have an issue, whenever I switch the unit on I lose my wireless connection on both my PC and Laptop, the only way to get it back is to reboot the Router. I'm 100% sure it's the WD TV Live Streaming Media Player that's causing the problem but haven't been able to find a solution, tried the WD TV forum and Google hasn't been much help.

Cheers in advance

gedstar

Posted 1 year ago

gedstar
gedstar

Just want to open this again, hopefully someone can throw some light on it for me

Posted 1 year ago

vistual
vistual

if possible post the make and model of the unit you have or a link that gos to that particular models specs / downloads etc.,etc..

Posted 1 year ago

gedstar
gedstar

Hi Vistual

Here's the link to the Model and Spec

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/1.....pix-review

Have tried WD forums no luck, it's strange, after it happens rebooting the router sorts the problem, I think the WD is acting as some sort of Bridge

Posted 1 year ago

vistual
vistual

i have two set top boxes here at home, a roku and a boxee box, but its hard to say without actually knowing EXACTLY whats going on there and how you have your router set up but im gonna throw a few things out there that maybe you can play around with or reset. ......

• im not sure if your connecting to the router wired / wirelessly ? • make sure dhcp is enabled • in your router, if your able to change the priority of the device - try reducing it. • if wired, try a different port • try a different wireless channel if applicable • test to see if the same thing happens if you connect to the router wirelessly vs wired *&* vice versa. • check to make sure there aren't any conflicting ip's •

maybe that 'll give you stuff to tinker with and in the meantime i will try to read around a little and see if i find anything on the subject.

Posted 1 year ago

gedstar
gedstar

All devices connecting to the router are wireless and the router is on DHCP, I already thought about conflicting IP Addresses and all devices have different IP's
Will check to see if I can change the priority and test on a different channel. Wired is not an option because the router is in a different room, was thinking about getting this http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/6.....v-net.html at least I can have a wired connection. might resolve the issue if all else fails

Cheers

Ged

Posted 1 year ago

vistual
vistual

cannot check out that linkj at the moment but either way - would hate to see you shell out more money to try andget this to work. personally i would leave that as a totally last resort.

another thought i had quickly was to test with a different router. maybe you have a spare kicking around or know someone that can lend you one just to make sure. then you can compare and maybe rule out the settings and start looking at a possible hub issue (???)

also try updating the devices firmware as well as the routers.

Posted 1 year ago

gedstar
gedstar

I'll have a look at the router tonight, the device has the latest firmware, will check the router and see if there's any firmware updates
And I'll try the other suggestions you mentioned
Cheers

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.