• Latest reply from Lighthouse
  • Topic Viewed 367 times

Lighthouse

Anybody using one ? Any comments would be appreciated,

http://www.wdc.com/en/products.....spx?id=810

Posted 1 year ago

mickeyblue

hey LH,

Long time mate, i personally use the Netgear Ready NAS 8TB for our work domain, and find it quite good and speedy.
I presume the WD red is based on similar architecture. NAS are great, but id stay far away from any Snapserver and SAN block. Had many issues with those.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse

Long time no see mate. I don't actually need it for NAS (at this time) or for RAID. But as a drive, how good ?

Posted 1 year ago

mickeyblue

yes ive been a busy boy,

will it be used for storage or performance? from what i have read its also has the intelli power system as the green drives, and variable spin RPM.
Its a storage based drive, lower temps and longevity. for storage id say yes, for performance id say nope.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse

For storage, not performance. Not too keen on their Green drives, but this Red popped up in an earlier search, and was cheap. Had not heard of them before.

Posted 1 year ago

mickeyblue

then your good to go, they basically the green drives but beefed up, they are dedicated storage drives. and have a little something called Time Limited Error Recovery (TLER), which helps with bad sectors.

nice review right here....REVIEW

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

This from a WD response to a bad customer review:

"We appreciate your feedback and apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced with your Western Digital 2 TB Red Drives, as this is not the typical or intended experience with the product. The TLER (Time Limited Error Recovery) feature on Western Digital RAID Edition EIDE and Serial ATA hard drives cannot be disabled. Western Digital manufactures desktop edition hard drives and RAID Edition hard drives. Each type of hard drive is designed to work specifically in either a desktop computer environment or on RAID controllers.
The WD Red Drives are specifically designed and tested for small office and home office, 1-5 bay NAS systems and PCs with RAID. Should you require a desktop drive that does not have any RAID or NAS feature sets inclusive in their specifications, you may want to consider a WD Black or WD Blue drive, which are specifically geared towards standard desktop applications.
http://www.wdc.com/en/products/internal/desktop/
http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/an...../a_id/1478
http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/an...../a_id/1397"

That said, the Reds are getting better reviews on NewEgg than the Greens. I've decided to use the Greens for backups since they will run only during the backup (otherwise, they are stored in a padded transport case) and use Blacks for storage inside the computer I'm building (it's running now but I'm still adding parts and setting it up). I bought one to use as my main data drive and cannibalized another one from my XP machine (it has little use on it). The Blacks don't cost that much more than the Reds or Greens, especially since I'll be buying them only every once in a blue moon or so. So I eat mustard sandwiches for a little longer; big deal.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix

The ONLY WD HDDs which are ACTUALLY Factory Tested and Burned-in are the YELLOW Enterprise Internal Hard Drives. WD QC does / did track these by serial number.

All the other WD HDD Models or just packed right off the assembly lines and rely on RMA History for Quality / Performance Advertising Claims.

I posted this information several years ago but probably no one remembers. :( :(

With the above being said, WD may have changed their policy over the years so may NOT be true today.

Posted 1 year ago

ronniesonora

Here's a good article on WD Red http://www.xbitlabs.com/articl.....d-red.html

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse

Thanks guys. I have searched out a load of customer reviews, and the consensus is more 5 stars than no stars. So looks like I will be on bread and water (without the bread) for a couple of weeks, as I also have to renew my passport (not cheap either).

Rick, I've never seen the yellows on sale at Amazon.

Accepted Answer · Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

Mustard and catsup sandwiches (even sans bread) are more filling. You can get them for free in convenient little packets at convenience stores and fast food restaurants. After what I've been spending on computer parts, I'll be eating mustard sandwiches (sans bread) for quite some time.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse

Yeah lots of weeds, and the odd mushroom out there :) (no fast food restaurants here)

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

Be careful with those odd mushrooms. Weeds aren't bad with salad dressing but I'm not allowed to grow them where I live and one never knows if someone just sprayed wild ones.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse

I know me "shrooms", just don't pick anything by the side of the road, or where people walk their dogs.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.