How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

WD 250GB External issues

(4 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by huckfinnifkcuh
  • Latest reply from sparky7415
  • Topic Viewed 779 times

huckfinnifkcuh

Hello...

My father in law bought a 250GB External drive and decided that he needed "all the space he could get" and deleted the files that need to stay on the drive to make it work.

Is ther any way to A. get a hold of these files, and B. force them back onto the drive to make it work again?

If I get it fixed, I get to keep it as he went out and bought a 500GB when this one stopped working (but he would like his info off of it).

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Posted 5 years ago

InDiSent
InDiSent

What files are you referring to? I have a WD 250GB Passport and there are no files on there that are required for it to work (not that i'm aware of). I've always formatted any new external drive that i buy since they typically come formatted as fat32. Can you give us some more info? What O/S are you using? Are you not able to see the drive in windows explorer? How about in disk management?

I know these drive typically come with backup software and sometimes other stuff. However, they are not required for the drive to function.

Posted 5 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

If you are lucky, the files could still be in the Recycle Bin.
If not, you could try a program like Recuva.

Posted 5 years ago

sparky7415
sparky7415

Try this site, http://www.westerndigital.com/...../index.asp I did something similiar last year with my WD 250 and had to download the software.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!