The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

(Solved) - Water on Macbook pro

(11 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by jakort1
  • Latest reply from Sirmentio
  • Topic Viewed 978 times

jakort1

I clumsily spilled a small amount (~15 mls) of water onto the keyboard of my Macbook pro and although the computer turns on fine, the keyboard is unresponsive and I am not able to type anything. When it first happened, everything was fine...then after shutdown the keyboard did type a bit, and then nothing. The touchpad is fine too. Any suggestions would be helpful. If I need to, I'll go and hook a USB keyboard to the machine and type that way, but I'd rather get this fixed the right way.
J.

Posted 2 years ago

vistamike

Could you post the model of the Mac book.
You could try a blast of hot air, not too close, to the KB area with a hairdryer (no joke). Macs are difficult to take apart BTW

Mike

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse

Turn it off, and unplug from mains, and remove battery, before the hair dryer.

Posted 2 years ago

jakort1

Macbook pro 13"...

Posted 2 years ago

ProstheticHead

Put some tissue over the keyboard, then pour some uncooked rice onto that and leave it somewhere warm and dry for a few days.

Accepted Answer · Posted 2 years ago

owen123

At Apple it costs about $150 to replace the keyboard.

My advice is to go with ProstheticHead's advice, then ring around local repair shops, then take it to Apple.

Note that if you open it and break anything, it will void the warranty, and I believe so will getting a repair shop to replace the keyboard.

Good Luck

Owen

Posted 2 years ago

Ruja

+1 for rice.My brother's iPod was submerged in a swimming pool recently and it stopped working. After 3 days covered with rice it worked again, although the screen flickers from time to time.

Posted 2 years ago

jakort1

So, after sitting for a few days most of the keys came back except for 1,q, a, z, t and the delete key. Last night the 1,q,a came back but not the z,t and delete key... Since I don't have time to take it to an Apple store, I've hooked up a remote keyboard. That said, when it's not on I leave it in a large plastic bag with 2 pounds of rice.

j

Posted 2 years ago

Sirmentio

strange, Windows would do something fancier:

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Edit by mod; deleted pic

Posted 2 years ago

vistamike

Sirmentio, please keep ludicrous comment to our Off Topic forum, the above is of no help to the OP

Mike

Posted 2 years ago

Sirmentio

Sorry :/ Usualy seen people doing that too.

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.