The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Watch saved movies on my tv via desktop

(3 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by dandeedan4u4
  • Latest reply from gedstar
  • Topic Viewed 319 times

dandeedan4u4

I've saved about 140 movies from my dish acct to my seagate goflex 2 tb hdd. How can I play them on my TV. When I hook up my goflex dr to my hp Pavillion desktop via my usb cable I cant see/play the movies on my Sony flat screen TV. (Goflex>via usb >>Desktop>via VGA cable> TV). Streaming movies with Netflix I don't have any problems! Streaming movies with the dish blockbuster feature, thru the internet,I don't have a problem. But if I hook my goflex hdd to my desktop via usb cable and try to play them on my tV, No Luck!!! When I plug my goflex to my desktop via usb 1. I can hear the sound indicator on my tv that there was a connection, 2. on the taskbar, if you hover over the (Safely remove hardware) icon shows up, 3. the lite on the goflex display lites up, but if I go to my Computer I only see c/d/and e drv's E being my dvd player. I contacted dish and they tell me that they have their own movie format and when I downloaded the movies dish automatically erases everything and formats the drive with no drive letter. As long as I watch the movies using their DVR I will not have a problem. (Goflex>via usb to DVR.) And when I hook it up that way, it shows all my movies to select from and plays them with no problem. I would like to eventually get rid of dish when my contract expires next year. Is there a way to accomplish this. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Dandeedan4u4

Posted 1 year ago

jewr

If your computer has an HDMI port, try connecting the computer > HDMI > TV, that should effectively turn your TV into a monitor and you should be able to play movies that way as if you were watching them on a standard monitor, just bigger!

Other option (more long term) is to purchase an external, multimedia hard drive. If you store your movies etc. on here, then you should be able to plug the device directly into the TV and watch the movies through it. Check that it plays the file types, I'd reccomend the IOMEGA Screenplay one, RRP's around $150AU.

Good luck.

Posted 1 year ago

gedstar
gedstar

This is what I use

http://www.wdc.com/en/products.....spx?id=330

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.