The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - Wasted HDD space?

(9 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by Energokinetic
  • Latest reply from Energokinetic
  • Topic Viewed 530 times

Energokinetic

Hello, i had problems with my Windows and now that i fixed it with a lot of help from LH i noticed another problem. My windows 7 partition says it is a 200GB one (that's how much i gave it when i dual booted it with Vista) and i tried to extend it from "Disk Management" but the option was grayed out. Any ideas?

UPDATE:
On the disk management window it says "264.29 GB unallocated" if that helps

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

Can you post a screenshot of your Disk Management window please.

Posted 4 years ago

Energokinetic

http://img707.imageshack.us/im.....gement.png Here you go

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Energokinetic,
---
1. A Logical Drive can be extended only within the extended partition that contains it.
2. The System and Boot partitions can be extended only into contiguous unallocated space.
---
Can't extend it I don't think. Have to re-configure the setup.
---
I'll qualify the opinion according to permission issues.

Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 4 years ago

Energokinetic

So no third party programs can merge them back together? So the only way to merge them back together again is by formatting? Need to find that windows 7 disc...

Posted 4 years ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

Hi

Wouldn't it be better to turn the unallocated space in to a separate drive (Logical Drive) which will come up as another disk drive in "Computer"?. You can put your personal stuff in there and if Windows crashes it's much less likely to be lost. In a disaster you renistall Windows back to C: drive amd the other drives will still be there and your personal data is intact....I'm assuming you have a proper Windows disk and not a Recovery drive which by default usually wipes the whole drive back to factory state, but there are ways round it. Smaller capacity drives are faster as well.

Just a suggestion :)

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

Try Easus Partition manager. Back up any personal data first.

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Energokinetic,
---
I would "nuke" DBAN the installation and just run Win7 in one partition on the HD unless you have other needs that must be met.
It's all personal preference. :) :)
---
Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 4 years ago

Energokinetic

Thanks guys, I'm now marking it as resolved since i got a couple of answers that will help.

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!