How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

(Solved) - Warning !!! - PrimoPDF 5.1.0.2 installs Adware

(18 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Hermitt
  • Latest reply from Lighthouse
  • Topic Viewed 1808 times

Hermitt
Hermitt

I just downloaded PrimoPDF 5.1.0.2 from http://www.filehippo.com/download_primopdf/
and tried to install it and MSE flagged it as having Adware.

Jim

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

"Adware in program"

July 16, 2012 | By SpiritualCramp

Version: PrimoPDF 5.1.0.2

Pros

It was easy to use and made simple PDFs.

Cons

MSSE detected it as containing an adware program called OpenCandy. Apparently, the adware only tracks you to give you ads in the application itself that it feels are relevant to your interests. Still, it is intrusive. As soon as I found this out, I uninstalled. I will find another program.

Summary

Great for easy pdf making if you don't mind adware also being installed on your computer

Read more: PrimoPDF 5.1.0.2 - CNET Download.com http://download.cnet.com/Primo.....z2GVUAiALN

Review from Cnet.

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

I am surprised at filehippo!

Here is some info on opencandy;

http://cranialsoup.blogspot.co.....yware.html

Posted 1 year ago

Hermitt
Hermitt

Thanks for adding that info, Joe.

Mike, MSE stopped its installation before any choices to install the spyware was offered.
Whew! God I love MSE.

Jim

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

Welcome Jim. Thanks to Mike also, I was surprised to see Unlocker listed on the site he posted.

Posted 1 year ago

Hermitt
Hermitt

Yeah, MSE flags Unlocker but I can't remember the name of the Virus in flags.

Jim

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

http://www.howtogeek.com/12868.....n-windows/ This is from Nov/13/2012.

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

Jim same here, MSE stopped the installation.

The Cnet download is ok BTW.

Posted 1 year ago

Hermitt
Hermitt

Thanks, then I'll get it from them (CNET).

BTW: I ended up installing Sumatra PDF 2.2 and almost puked when I ran it and saw the horrible GUI. LOL

Jim

Posted 1 year ago

Hermitt
Hermitt

Thanks Mike. Just downloaded it, will try it out tomorrow.

Jim

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

Mike

I just downloaded PDF Creator to update it and I followed the normal install, except bypassing the toolbar plug (SaveByClick), and was annoyed to find it downloading another 92MB on top of the 16MB for PDFCreator which turned out to be their PDFArchitect which gives you a crippled version...the rest of it you have to buy as modules. I uninstalled it to see what I had missed and it turns out you have to install it in Expert mode to avoid downloading PDFArchitect....it is D/L by default in the normal route without you knowing. I remember they bundled a bit of a tracker with it once that I only found with Belarc Advisor. PDFCreator is as bad as Funmoods and Babylon for the way they try to slide stuff in. They definitely aren't in the Piriform, Softpedia, Filihippo league anyway for transparency.

Posted 1 year ago

Hermitt
Hermitt

Hey Tony, I really appreciate the info about PDFCreator. I won't be installing it any time soon.

Jim :)

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

Jim, Tony. Apologies for that. I installed it myself some 8 months ago without issue.
However I just downloaded it on my other machine and found it came 'bundled' with the Ask toolbar and a game and SAS alerted 2 trojans.
A system restore solved the problem.

I have removed the link.

Another once trusted company off my list for bundling rubbish in their downloads.

Mike

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

That's OK Mike...It WAS OK once but that's life. Anyway, we are covering each other's backs and that's the most important thing isn't it? :D

Sumatra is the way to go for a reader. I'll have to look around for another PDF creator on my cyber travels sometime...no hurry though.

Tony

Posted 1 year ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

@ Jim - if you're looking for a better GUI PDF Xchange is the way to go.
Comes with a nice feature to show previews on thumbnails, but it is also available in a portable version for those who like that best ;)

Edit: oh and a nice alternative to PDFcreator is Bullzip PDF.

Second edit: another nice PDF tool is Debenu PDF tools.

I've never had any problems with any of them (though I never really looked either LOL).

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Jim, progs like Unlocker may very well get flagged. It's not that they contain any nasties, it's because the coding has to be pretty aggressive for the app to do it's job. Nasties have similar coding, thus the flagging.

Posted 1 year ago

Hermitt
Hermitt

Yo all. - I want to thank everyone for all the great info & links you posted.
I finally decided to use Sumatra PDF Reader because it's small and serves the purpose.

@LH - Yes, I remember reading something many moons ago about Unlockers aggressive coding and that a few AV's will flag it.
I really don't have a use for it at present but if I do I'll force MSE to allow it to install.

Again, thanks to all for you input,
Jim

P.S. - @SarahJames - Thank you. I have downloaded everything you posted and will check it out at a later date.
Cheers

Accepted Answer · Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Jim. Please stop putting smileys in your posts.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.