How-To Geek Forums / Apple / OS X

Want ios 6 but won't run on a 3rd gen ipod

(15 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by jmeeks49
  • Latest reply from hatryst
  • Topic Viewed 12166 times

jmeeks49

Hatty or someone,

please tell me why apple decided to skip the 3rd gen iPod? i haven't try to do anything yet just wonder why.

John

Posted 2 years ago

owen123

Apple, Stop giving out updates for iPods, when they think they are old, or can't run it properly, basically them trying to get you to buy a new one. I have a 1st Gen iPod Touch, (Still Working (Just)) which hasn't been updated for probably 3 years.

Owen

Posted 2 years ago

jmeeks49

Owen,

a question for you, if the above statement is true why would they drop the 3rd gen but not the iPhone 3GS which i have..

John

Posted 2 years ago

Vorlock

I believe the processor in the touch is also clocked higher.

Posted 2 years ago

owen123

I would imagine it is something to do with, how good the 3gs is, you can still buy it new on contract.

Posted 2 years ago

hatryst

Hey John. What version of iOS is the iPod running at the moment? it can go as high as the last best version of iOS (iOS 5.1.1). If you're running iOS 4, you'll experience a big change when you upgrade to iOS 5. iOS 6 is just as good as 5, just a few minor improvements over performance (and removal of Google Maps and YouTube, that's another story).

Don't ask why iOS 6 isn't the very best version of iOS. But anyway, I see no valid reason as to why Apple dropped iOS 6 support for iPod touch 3rd gen. It definitely has the hardware to run iOS 6 (a 600 MHz processor). I guess TIME is the only reason (not the magazine, I just wrote it in allcaps to put some emphasis). It was time for Apple to support only the newer devices (as they usually do, no iOS 6 for the original iPad). However, making 3GS worthy of iOS 6 update is a good decision, but not all features of iOS 6 will be available on it. So either way, if you're on an older device and you have iOS 5, consider yourself lucky!

Posted 2 years ago

owen123

Just another way to make money.

Posted 2 years ago

jmeeks49

thanks hatty..

john

Posted 2 years ago

jmeeks49

hatty sorry i am running 5.1.

john

Posted 2 years ago

hatryst

Then you're good!
Just thinking, why did you feel the need to update to iOS 6?

Posted 2 years ago

jmeeks49

just wanted to look at it to see what all the hyped was about..

John

Posted 2 years ago

hatryst

Read some reviews before testing it. Applies to everything in technology!

Posted 2 years ago

doctordeere

I have a 4th Gen Touch and see no need to upgrade to iOS6. Most of the "improvements" are aimed at the iPhone and iPad. I just don't see any pressing need to have 6 on an iPod.

Posted 2 years ago

jmeeks49

hey hatty,

do you think ios 6 is a worthy upgrade for the iPhone 3GS?

John

Posted 2 years ago

hatryst

I don't have an iPhone 3GS (have the 2G!), so, not sure about that!

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.