The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 8

W8's Live Tiles driving me crazy...

(30 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by ispalten
  • Latest reply from ispalten
  • Topic Viewed 2256 times

ispalten

I really do NOT use them, but some, like Weather, Sports, News, etc. I like as they put change on the Start Screen. However, over time, while they still change on the Start Screen, they fail to connect when opened. All I get it is the rotating Dot's.

This happened first on my wife's machine within 2 weeks of installing W8. Since it was a fairly new load and not much was done on it in terms of customization, a Windows Refresh fixed that, and she's not had a problem since.

On my machine I just noticed this a day or so ago. It could have been going on for a long time though.

Usual fix appears to be a change to default setting in UAC, which I had altered. Reset it to default. Didn't help. Video driver is also implicated.

I have an ATI Radeon and a W8 driver was released last week which I installed. OK, rolled that back, didn't fix it. Was on the MS Windows WDDM. Now since I went back to the ATI driver ROLLBACK doesn't show? W8 bug I guess? I'll probably UNINSTALL the ATI and let MS find its own driver, sigh...

OK, no real problem, I don't really use them, and the Live Tile part still works.

So I decide to UNINSTALL the troublesome one.

Idea, why not install them again? Ahh, some work, some, like Weather still do not? Odd?

I don't want to do the REFRESH, seems like a 'pain', all personalization set to default. Only keeps MS Store apps... says on the desktop will be a list of removed apps... but after 2 1/2 months of use I expect it to be a major pain putting that stuff back. Don't feel like 'playing' with my images to see when this happened either.

Anyone with a fool-proof answer, I'm all ears. BTW, MS used to have a FIXIT app, but none for W8 that I can find?

Irv S.

EDIT: Was able to SELECT the WDDM driver when I looked for suitable drivers for the adapter... Back on it again, Weather still doesn't change or work???

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark

Irv,

Does the App Troubleshooter at the bottom of page help : http://windows.microsoft.com/e.....oblems-app

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten

Guilty, I've run this before, more than once.

It always seems to find something, like this time,

SECURITY SETTINGS, ALL APPLICATIONS :

Checking for HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Printers\PropertyBags
(A;OICI;KR;;;AC) is not the correct setting. Resetting to (A;OICIID;KR;;;AC)
Reset result: FAIL

Only one it found. Says FAIL though? It is PRINTERS??? Only has READ permission, I could give it full control, but that shouldn't be needed with printing?

Also

Problem with BITS service : The requested service has already been started.More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 2182.

But all the HELP says if is already started, duh????

This was interesting :

============
Check for missing or corrupt files Detected Detected

Repair missing or corrupt files Completed

Informational SFC Output
Output: Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service.
================

It wasn't started but it was completed???

Ran it manually...

==============
C:\WINDOWS\system32>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>
=================

Odd results... I checked my wife's WORKING system and she doesn't have that Registry entry at all? We have the same network printer???

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark

ispalten

Had seen that one before, not much help at all?

I've been checking against my wife's machine which has them ALL working. I've narrowed it down to 3 specific Live Tiles (all the others work), USA Today (only one that is not on the Start Screen by default), Weather (although WeatherBug Live Tile works fine), and Sports (which is NOT on my wife's machine). I know that Weather DID work as I was able to change the city and it would update live, which it no longer does since I uninstalled it and installed it again (before it would live update but you couldn't open it, just got the dots).

I deleted the Printer ProperyBags from the registry, re-booted, didn't help, so I put it back.

Confusing. Really suspect the ATI video driver AND CCC, but on the ATI forums no one is mentioning that? I'll look closer at the MS Windows forum, or just give up I guess. Maybe someday they will start working again?

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark

Other than checking all Framework is up to date I have no answers. Sorry mate :(

Posted 1 year ago

whs

Irv, Try this

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix

Also check for Errors in the Administrative Events Log.

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten

WHS, nope, it isn't turning the Live Tile update on or off, that just controls if they update without the app open on the Start Screen. Interestingly, the 3 with the problem when I RMB on them DO NOT have that as an option? Like they never connected. Yes to your probably next suggestion, I have disabled the F/W and A/V to make sure they were not causing problems.

Ralph, yeah, I have an Event, not very useful, like "App Microsoft.BingWeather_8wekyb3d8bbwe!App did not launch within its allotted time." like I didn't know that?

=============
Log Name: Application
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Immersive-Shell
Date: 01/28/13 2:05:13 PM
Event ID: 2486
Task Category: (2414)
Level: Error
Keywords: (64),Process Lifetime Manager
User: IRV-XPS435\Irv
Computer: Irv-XPS435
Description:
App Microsoft.BingWeather_8wekyb3d8bbwe!App did not launch within its allotted time.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Immersive-Shell" Guid="{315A8872-923E-4EA2-9889-33CD4754BF64}" />
<EventID>2486</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>2414</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x2000000000000042</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2013-01-28T19:05:13.589144800Z" />
<EventRecordID>413231</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="1880" ThreadID="6084" />
<Channel>Application</Channel>
<Computer>Irv-XPS435</Computer>
<Security UserID="S-1-5-21-807062364-2450255372-3716480105-1000" />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data Name="ApplicationId">Microsoft.BingWeather_8wekyb3d8bbwe!App</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>
=================

Googling this error it seems most are connected to a DOMAIN connection, which doesn't apply here.

One 'interesting' one at the bottom.... http://www.eightforums.com/sof.....-them.html which is what I think might be my problem. I may have to fully UNINSTALL the ATI driver I just installed. Just switching the Display driver isn't enough possibly?

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

TheShadow

I just installed the "Classic Shell" and I spend the rest of my time on W8 working from the Desktop just like I would on XP or W7.
After a few days, I forgot that there is a screen with those stupid tiles on it.(somewhere) I never see it!

K.I.S.S.

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten

I know that is an option, but like I said, I sort of like the Live Tiles, especially because I can have that screen up and when I passby the computer I can get info at a glance.

NOTHING I've seen so far is earth shattering or needed, I agree, but I also find that some apps are as good as the iPad ones, like USA Today (which is one that doesn't work, sigh).

Yes, I know it isn't needed, and I'm not crying that they don't work, it is just that I think if they don't work, SOMETHING else I don't know about is probably broken.

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix

Sorry I forgot with ATI driver ccc.

In SERVICES, DISABLE ATI External Event

Reboot

Rick P.

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten

Now called AMD External Event it seems? No ATI services at all? I stopped it which should be the same, no help. Will try to disable it and re-boot. If it fixes it, I'll edit this, otherwise, it didn't do anything.

I need time to check permissions on some folders on my wife's machine and compare to mine I guess? Time means she off of it... usually in the morning as I get up earlier.

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix

AMD External Event Service needs to be DISABLED anytime one runs 7 or 8.

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten

Ralph, WHERE did you discover that? With it disabled I didn't see anything 'different'? THIS basically says you can leave it, for touchpads and CCC hotkeys.

I bit the bullet and completed UNINSTALLED using REVO CCC and then Uninstalled and DELETED the video driver from ATI. Re-booted, didn't fix the problem.

I suspect a replaced file or permission by ATI/CCC that has done me in. Only because the other Live Tiles work but NOT these specific 3?

I need CCC as my Dell LCD display doesn't have Image Settings and I can't brighten it. CCC does that for me.

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix

Is Best to use the CCC Version that was current when the video card was manufactured.

Updated CCC Versions for newer cards will cause problems in some cases.

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten

I had CCC problems with some drops. Can't really install CCC individually other than not installing it and using the old one during the install or just getting the driver, but NOT all drops are made driver only. The new W8 one comes only as a complete drop, and as I recall it didn't install CCC as it already was? CCC is working correctly now, and the new one seems to be more 'streamlined', that is I don't see all the old settings for stuff, but it might be I'm mixing Nvidia drivers with Radeon?

I really think that driver is the problem or it damaged/replaced a file and that is the problem.

Other than that, I can't think of HOW it could only be those 3 specific Live Tiles that do not work? A special resource that they use and can't get too? Who knows?

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix

Random Search Result:

http://www.forumswindows8.com/.....e-7741.htm

I dislike to be the one to say; "Reset the SSD back to factory condition and do a Clean Install". :( :(

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten

Well, first of all it WAS updating on the Start Screen, then I saw someone state if you uninstall it and reinstall it will be fixed. Since then, no Start Screen updates at all and it doesn't open.

Like I originally said, on wife's machine a refresh/reset did fix her similar problem, however, I am not about to do that with 3 months of customization, d/l's, and installs.

I'm beginning too wonder since you like to do CLEAN INSTALLS and start over if you use your computer for anything but e-mails and surfing <VBG>. If it was a situation of saving a few folders off and a random file here or there it wouldn't be a problem for me. I've got 4 partitions, and replacing just the C: drive and starting over would lose all the links and customization to those programs, and I'm not about to do that. Someday MAYBE MS will come up with a fix, meanwhile I'll use NBC NEWS, ESPN, and WEATHERBUG and get the same info.

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix

Remember I Build large machines so have no constraints like the Laptop users have.

I use the computers for everything.

A bit easier for me to recover since I run Win7 on two machines and win8 on two machines plus keep current good
up-to-date images of all systems.

Run all on SSDs in raid 0 arrays so can insert a USB stick, secure erase any system and Re-image a system from a backup image in about 15 minutes.

The Spinners, when I have then connected, hold data records on them that go back to the 1990s.

Partitioning is so "Tacky" ! (LOL) <VBG>

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.