How-To Geek Forums / Off Topic

W8

(40 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Lighthouse
  • Latest reply from LadyFitzgerald
  • Topic Viewed 868 times

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Why the heck is everyone jumping onto this ?

Posted 1 year ago

CompWiz
CompWiz

?

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Far too buggy (more so than my bed), And lack of drivers. Happens every time.

Posted 1 year ago

CompWiz
CompWiz

You upgraded?

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

I is a Vista man :)

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

E G O!!!

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Sarah is a Vista woman !

Best OS out there (still run MSDOS on an old laptop tho. Love that too)

Posted 1 year ago

CompWiz
CompWiz

I'll stick to 7 for a while.

Although, we already purchasing PC's here at work pre-installed with Windows 8 plus we just received two Dell servers running Windows Server 2012.

Yikes!

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Best of luck :)

Posted 1 year ago

CompWiz
CompWiz

Thanks, much needed.

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

Not everyone is jumping into Win 8. I'm definitely not. And, based on what I've been reading elsewhere, I have a lot of company. Keep in mind this is a geek site and many of the members here, besides a desire to be on top of the latest technology, many have a need to do so because they work on other people's machines. From what I've read about Win 8 (and I've fooled around with a friend's win 8 machine), the UI formerly known as Metro is too cumbersome for my needs. It's great for people who use tablets or use their computers for email, social networking, light web surfing, etc. but for serious productivity, it gets in the way. There are ways to get many of Win 7's features back with third party programs but why bother with that when Win 7 already has them? Besides, I already have two retail copies of Win 7 Ultimate and one retail copy of Win 7 Home Premium. Win 7 meets my needs so I'll probably stick with it until its last dying gasp 01/14/2020. I have no problems with new technology but only if it actually benefits me and at a price I'm willing to pay.

Posted 1 year ago

CompWiz
CompWiz

LF, couldn't agree with you more.

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

I'm sticking with Vista until I no longer can. Have used Win 8 DP and CP versions and saw nothing of much interest to a non touch screen user, also have an Android Tablet which is kind of similar in a way, but could never imagine using a (mini) mouse with it.

Some things are just designed for a certain kind of operation.

Just my 2 squids worth.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Good man :)

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

Vista will be around until 4/11/2017. XP has a little over year before it sounds its death knell.

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

@ LF,

By that time I'm hoping someone will be able to take Win 7's SP1 or SP2 (if they ever decide to do it), strip it down and turn it into an SP3 for Vista :) :)
Fingers crossed.

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

@ GS. The only problem with that is M$ support still ends for Vista and I seriously doubt the AV and malware folks will continue to write definitions for it. You could buy one or more copies of a retail version of Win 7 now while it's still available but that would be kinda expensive for only three more years of life. I have no clue what I will do once Win 7 gives up the ghost; I'm hoping (more like praying) M$ will wake up before then and realize they need to resume supporting serious computer users, such as businesses, gamers, etc.

On the same note as what you are hoping for, someone has come up with a way to take the UI (including the Start Menu) from a copy of Win 7 (preferably legal) and add it to Win 8, giving some of the best of both worlds.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

People run much older versions of Windows perfectly well. Just cos support stops, means not a whit.

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

I understand both points of view but seeing as Win 7 was built on the Vista kernal I'm sure there could be a possibility as I think Win 7 updates will continue slightly longer than estimated just as XP's has.

Just thought it was an interesting theory :)

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

When OEMs cease to provide Windows 7 hardware device drivers for Windows 8 machines, buyers of new machines will be forced to run Windows 8. That was the way it was to get rid of 2K, XP and Vista and will be the way it goes for Windows 7.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!