SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - W7 Not Recognizing Native Resolution (1680x1050)

(8 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by Soupie
  • Latest reply from madmacs
  • Topic Viewed 5942 times

Soupie

(If this has already been solved, please send me a link. Thanks!)

Okay, I've seen this problem discussed all over the Web. For some reason, W7 is either not recognizing all the resolutions a NVIDIA card can handle, or it is incorrectly identifying the native resolution of 22" in wide screen, 16:10 monitors.

I have a NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT and a Sceptre X22WG-1080p 16:10 LCD with a high resolution of 1680 x 1050. It was running perfectly on Vista 64-bit. I upgraded to 64-bit W7, and W7 insists my native resolution is 1920 x 1080. I am using a DVI to DVI cable, the same I used with Vista. (When I run that res, everything is slightly distorted.) When I set the resolution to 1680 x 1050, which I can do through W7 settings, the screen shrinks and is bordered by black bars on either side.

I have the most up-to-date drivers from NVIDIA, however this does not correct the problem. I've also used the NVIDIA control panel to change the resolution to 1680 x 1050, but I get the small screen with black bars on the sides.

I've tried manually installing the Vista NVIDIA drivers, but W7 says I have the best driver installed and won't update. I also tried uninstalling the monitor to see if W7 would find it and properly identify it.

How do I get W7 to recognize the true native resolution of my monitor? Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

That would be more a NVIDIA driver problem I think (and I have had enough of those myself).

Posted 4 years ago

whs
whs

Your problem is the 16:10. It should be 16:9. Scout around where you can change this setting. I run w7 in a virtual partition and cannot recreate your problem. My "monitor" is all generic.

Posted 4 years ago

Soupie

>> Your problem is the 16:10. It should be 16:9.

Not sure what you mean. The product page for the monitor I have says it has a 16:10 ratio.

http://www.sceptre.com/Product....._1080p.htm

If I did want to change the ratio, how would I do that?

Keep in mind that the only thing that has changed with my setup is the OS. The graphics card and the monitor were working fine with Vista.

Posted 4 years ago

somp

Have you tried adjusting screen size on monitor itself?.e.g stretch the size horizontally.

Posted 4 years ago

Soupie

>> Have you tried adjusting screen size on monitor itself?.e.g stretch the size horizontally.

Because W7 thinks that my native resolution is higher than it actually is, it also believes the screen is stretched to its max. That's why there are two black bars on either side when I set the monitor to its true resolution.

Someone over on the NVIDIA forums found a hack fix for a 28" Viewsonic monitors having the same problem. I need to find the EDID hex commands for my 22" Sceptre and make a new .inf file and install it.

Posted 4 years ago

Soupie

Hey, I figured it out, haha. New NVIDIA drivers were just released tonite and they work!

http://www.tcmagazine.info/com.....38;catid=3

These aren't official, they're still BETA, but they worked perfectly for me.

Posted 4 years ago

madmacs
madmacs

Thanks for posting back.

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!