The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - W7 Crash to reboot on KVM Switch

(5 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by BobD
  • Latest reply from BobD
  • Topic Viewed 1497 times

BobD

I have an Aten CS52D KVM DVI Hybrid switch that was purchased brand new as recently as October last year.

This switch has been functioning very well, switching between a machine running Windows XP Pro and a machine Running Windows Vista Home Premium from October last until yesterday when I tried to use it in conjunction with Vista and Windows 7 instead of Vista and XP Pro.

I have been trialling the Windows 7 Release Candidates (RC), both the 32 bit and 64 bit versions with the prospect of moving the main User activity to Windows 7 proper when it becomes available later this year.

In order to try and make the transition from Vista to Windows 7 as least disruptive as possible the plan was to use the Aten KMV switch to allow the User to switch between the new machine running Windows 7 and the current machine running Vista.

To my despair, having thought this part of the process was nearing completion ahead of the release of Windows 7 proper, I find this to be far from the case, because the Aten switch does not appear to be compatible with Windows 7, not the 32 bit version or the 64 bit one!

I have found that having booted up the Windows 7 machine with the focus of the Aten KVM switch on it all is well.

The Windows 7 machine works as you would expect it to but as soon as you press the KVM pushbutton to switch to the Vista machine, whether the Vista machine is running or not, the Windows 7 machine crashes, starts to reboot, enters the POST and goes to the Safe Mode recovery menu.

This has happened to me so many times now I am expecting the Windows 7 installation to fail to recover any time soon!

I have checked and rechecked all the connections and they are correct and this is confirmed because I had been reviewing the BIOS settings on the Windows 7 machine and from there in its BIOS I can switch back and forth between the Vista machine's Desktop and the BIOS on the machine on which I have the two (32 & 64 bit) Windows 7 RC's installed on separate bootable partitions.

It is once the machine has booted up into Windows 7, either version, that the crash and reboot happens as soon as you press the pushbutton to leave the Windows 7 machine and switch to the other one.

The process of switching into Vista and subsequently out of Vista again works as it should and the machine running Vista is stable and continues to run without crashing as it has done for many months when switching to and from XP Pro.

I am hoping that someone will be able to explain to me what do to about the issue I have encountered with the Aten KVM Switch and Windows 7, as this discovery has put me back to square one on planning how to introduce the User transition from Vista to Windows 7 and a delay looks inevitable at the moment!

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

Hi Bob. No mention of W7 compatability,
http://ateneurope.com/ZeigeProdukt.php?id=184

Posted 4 years ago

BobD

Hi LH
I have checked and I agree there is no mention of compatiblity, there has also been no reply from the Aten support team since asking the direct question "is this product compatible".

There has also been silence from nVidia Support and some unhelpful advice from XFX support.

My brother is running a two PC setup with a simmilar PC (EP45 DS4) with a dual boot Vista / W7 x64 and a seperate PC with Vista x64 installed they share an Aten CS62DU KVM and the system works faultlessly and again there is no mention of compatibilty for the CS62DU.

The PC is a self build: -
Gigabyte EP45 DS3 Rev 1.0 Motherboard BIOS F9
CPU Q6700
RAM 4GB DDR2 (Memtested)
GPU XFX GF8500 Driver 186.18
HDD Western Digtal 320 GB SATA
PSU Dual Rail 650W

Regards

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

They have a phone number on that link I posted. Look under "Contact". Give 'em a call.
If you don't have a phone, I could call for you.

Posted 4 years ago

BobD

Solved
The nVidia 190.38 Beta Driver release has fixed the problem I had with my Aten CS52D KVM Switch crashing Windows 7 each and every time
the focus of this KVM switch was moved away from Windows 7.
I have installed the 190.38 beta release in both the 32 bit and 64 bit Windows 7 RC OS's and everything is rock solid and stable when
the KVM switch is operated in both versions.
Regards

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!