Volume constantly changing and more

(11 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by jbsayers
  • Latest reply from mickeyblue
  • Topic Viewed 2358 times

jbsayers

New member, first post.

Hi all,

I have a HP Pavilion and for some reason out of the blue, the volume started sliding up and down on its own. It does it the entire time the laptop is in use which is annoying because the slider is constantly flashing on my screen and clicking. Also, all of the "quickplay" buttons (Quickplay, FF, Play, RE, as well as the mute and wireless buttons) are completely unresponsive which I am sure is related.

Tech support = useless.

I had this issue once before after I updated my BIOS while I was running Vista but it stopped on its own one day. Now I am running Win 7 and it started up again about a month ago. I didn't update anything or install anything just prior to the issue either.

I tried to update the drivers for those buttons but I am not sure what they are actually called or where to find the driver info for them. I looked through the device mgr but didn't see anything that looked like the right ones.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
JB

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

jbsayers,
---
Welcome to HTG.
---
Please post the EXACT Model Number of the machine.
---
Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 4 years ago

jbsayers

HP Pavilion dv7-1245dx

Posted 4 years ago

imnotmexican

you can try uninstalling the quick launch buttons. its a common issue with hp laptops i know of a few people with the same problem. also if that doesnt work try running the laptop with just the power cord and no battery (turn off computer before taking the battery out) see if that helps

Posted 4 years ago

jbsayers

I'm not sure where to go to uninstall these. I don't think they are referred to as "quick launch" because the only thing I find under quick launce are the soft buttons (on screen, not about the keyboard) which obviously are not on Windows 7. Any idea what they are called so I can find them and uninstall them?

Posted 4 years ago

imnotmexican

im unsure what its called in windows 7 but it should be along the lines of HP quick touch or along those lines. if you cant find it try this

- Click Run and Type msconfig
- At the startup tab uncheck Quick Touch On Screen Display

restart and see how that goes it might not be uninstalled but should be turned off

i have uninstalled them once before for a friends computer unfortunatley didnt work for him but ive heard it work for others but i cant remember which program to uninstall sorry

Posted 4 years ago

imnotmexican

oh and i think i made a mistake don't uninstall quick launch thats for the task bar not the touch pad the touch pad is hp quick touch and thats what i think is the problem

Posted 4 years ago

jbsayers

I tried disabling HP quick touch and it didn't work.

Any other ideas?

Posted 4 years ago

mickeyblue
mickeyblue

the link to your PC's drivers, you can try installing the touchpad buttons driver.
uninstall the old one and install the new one. don't install it on top of the old one.

HP drivers

Posted 4 years ago

jbsayers

I just uninstalled HP Quick Touch completely and installed the latest version. The problem isn't solved because I still cannot use any of the quick touch buttons but it is an acceptable work-around since the annoying OSD isn't constantly up and the volume is stable as long as I adjust it at the toolbar.

Thanks for the advice. I am not marking this solved yet just in case somebody else has a solution.

JB

Posted 4 years ago

mickeyblue
mickeyblue

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.