How-To Geek Forums / Disability Tech

voice help for blind

(9 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by americamba44
  • Latest reply from jmeeks49
  • Topic Viewed 1133 times

americamba44

Hi,

i am helping a friend who is blind. He is an intellectually vibrant person who became suddenly blind. He wants to preserve as much intellectual curiosity and research ability as possible. Can he start his computer and navegate with voice? How much can he do with only voice? although he could probably handle the keyboard by touch typing.Can he search and then choose screen content with voice? Can all screen content be audible for him, that is, word documents, excel spreadsheets, pdfs etc.? Can he write, send and receive emails? Thanks for your help with this. If you know of another thread or another place to get this info, I would appreciate it.

Frank

Posted 2 years ago

hatryst
hatryst

What computer is it? A Mac, by chance?

Posted 2 years ago

jmeeks49
jmeeks49

Hi Frank welcome to HTG,

Assuming that your friend is running windows 7 (sorry hatty hehehe) as far as him using his voice to do everything by voice yes he can. i have cereable palsy and was a co-founder of a assistive technology company in nashville so this is right up my ally there's a program called Dragon Dictate http://www.nuance.com/talk/?ut.....on_dictate he would have to have a headset with a mic on it and has time to train it with his voice but it can be done. i don't know if he is completely blind or what but if he can see a little he might want to get some screen magnifacation software like zoomtext http://www.aisquared.com/zoomtext/ there are more but Zoomtext is better than most of them.

John

Posted 2 years ago

hatryst
hatryst

John, you're an expert, and that's a very good answer. Coupled with the default Windows narrator, this can be the ultimate combo for such a person...

Posted 2 years ago

jmeeks49
jmeeks49

Hatty,

First of all i am a expert at bsing!! (LOL LOL LOL) but seriously assistive technology is a way of life including mine but narrator is ok but it is limited on what you can do with it dragon is more advanced and i think he will be better suited for it. the reason that i was/am involve in starting this forum is exactly for people like Frank but i couldn't of done it with out Mike's help in getting the forum up and going. As you can see it has paid off in in a big way. i would like to see more users with disabilities using the forum i think it has benefits more than anyone can imagine. But, i guess we will see as time goes on.

John

Posted 2 years ago

vistamike
vistamike

John, as you know from previous emails between us, the forum was setup after discussions with The Geek, Scott and LH. I am very happy to see it working, as you know I have to deal with certain problems as well, personally or my partner.

Any input here is greatly appreciated, your knowledge, understanding and the ability to overcome life challenging situations is of paramount importance to the community.

So go for it John and keep the forum going

And you got my email address, so let's keep talking!

Mike

Posted 2 years ago

hatryst
hatryst

Well said Mike :)

Posted 2 years ago

jmeeks49
jmeeks49

Thanks Guys it is very much appreciated.

@Mike, i am writing you a email as i am typing this. Please, read it as it will have a question that either you will know or could find out for me.

@Hatty like i said, this forum is here to help people with or know someone with a disability. i would like to talk to you about something via email that you might can help on if your up for the challenge. Please, email me when you have the chance.

Gentelman,

My goal is to make this forum so well known that it will have new users every day. and in the next few days, weeks, and months be prepaired for a increase in traffic to the How to Geek website with this forum responsible for the increase. Hatty please email me email me as soon as possible. Again, both of yall a big THANK YOU!!!!

John

Posted 2 years ago

jmeeks49
jmeeks49

Here is a link to computer access enjoy!!! http://www.tacnashville.org/in.....ter-access

john

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.