How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - VM question

(10 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by BobJam
  • Latest reply from BobJam
  • Topic Viewed 1210 times

BobJam
BobJam

I want to see if I can put W7 RC on my VM . . . Sun xVM VirtualBox version 2.1.4.

I know whs wrote a tutorial on putting the beta on the VM (and I downloaded and have it), but would it be any different for the RC?

The catch here might be the RAM. While I have 1GB on my machine, VirtualBox will only allow me to set aside 460MB of RAM and still be "optimal"

I don't know that I would want to load any apps (even if I could) . . . just want to see and play with the OS.

Is it possible to even do with only 460MB of RAM? The technical specifications that MS show for it list 1GB of RAM.

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

BobJam, try it and see. What have you got to lose ?

Posted 4 years ago

BobJam
BobJam

It worked just fine.

Coupla' things though.

With only 460+MB of RAM, as you might expect, I could almost hear my machine groaning under the burden of the RAM requirements (and I'm maxed out at 1GB of RAM for my vintage 2004 machine, so I can't really add more).

The whole install from start to finish took about 45 mins. As I recall, whs's install of the beta took about 35 minutes, but then whs had a whole lot more RAM dedicated to it. But once it installed, it seemed very nimble.

Since I'm still using XP, the W7 GUI was VERY different. I haven't had the benefit of working with the VISTA GUI, which as I understand is somewhat similar. So, my learning curve is steep, and while I spent an hour or so playing around with the thing, I think I'm going to have to take the "tour", which I've not done with any other version.

One thing has really perplexed me. There is an ominous message that I have to "activate" the thing within three days (or is that just something the RC has in it for the final, and I can ignore it as a "tester"?) So I tried to get on line with it, but the thing would not recognize my ethernet card. Then I tried to "update" the driver but it gave me a message that it coudn't find a driver (my ethernet card is a "National Semiconductor DP83815-Based PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter").

So then I went to the National Semiconductor site, but they seem to be pretty much out of the PC business. Then I went to the HP site (my machine is an HPze4700) and did in fact find a driver for the ethernet card, but it was only an XP driver (dated 2003). I would have downloaded and tried that driver but I couldn't figure out a way to get it on to the VM partition.

Bottom line, I'm at a dead end trying to figure out how to get on line with W7, but then if this "activation" thing is not something I need to worry about, I really don't need to . . . besides, it's going to take me quite a while just to figure out how to get around in the thing before I even start worrying about getting on line with it.

Can't really evaluate much of it right now, except to say that the VM installation went fine and the thing looks pretty slick.

Posted 4 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Bob, well you can't do much without Internet access. What fun would that be? Activation is done to verify you have a legitimate license to the software. When you downloaded the Windows 7 RC ISO image, you should have been given a product key -- a string of 5 sets of 5 characters with dashes. You probably already typed it in during the install. Product activation just registers your key and your system with Microsoft over the Internet. You can learn more about Windows Product Activation at wikipedia. It's basically an anti-piracy measure.

Now, to get your network going. Your best bet is to try the network driver from HP first. Since it's an XP driver, you will have to run it using compatibility mode. Assuming that the installer is a .exe file, right-click on it, select Properties, choose the Compatibility tab, and set it to "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" and choose XP Service Pack 3 (or SP2). See if it will install that way. I had to use this compatibility mode for the audio drivers on my old P4 box running Win7 and it works just fine.

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@Bob,
---
Does your CPU support VT (Virtual Technology) ????
---
Am trying to figure out the "hoopla" between MS and Intel concerning the Non-Win7 Ready XP VM Mode which is being discussed in other hardware forums.
---
Have yet to get a good handle on the subject other than by Researching Intel CPU White Papers.
---
This post is NOT meant to cause controversy between the (3) of us on this topic thread.
---
Best Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 4 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

@Rick, @Bob, what I find at HP about the ze4700 is that it has an AMD Athlon processor in it, so no Intel VT there. I can't figure out what kind of Athlon it is, and there are so many flavors, but I doubt that it has AMD's virtualization tech on it. Even if it did, I think it is stretched far enough running Win7rc in a VM on XP! Adding XP Mode would probably make it explode. Of course, we could have Bob run Win7rc native, then XP Mode on top of that and then run XP inside XP Mode. Kaboom! Nope, it still explodes. :-)

I'm interested in XP Mode, too, but I haven't tried it yet. We should have a thread just for the discussion of it.

Posted 4 years ago

BobJam
BobJam

Hey Rick,

Huh? I mean, what does my CPU support for VT have to do with my question about connecting to the Internet? Not arguing . . . just wondering what you mean by the question. And . . . how would I find that out? BTW, my CPU is an AMD Athlon Mobile 2500+. Does that help?

ScottW,

I would have done what you suggested . . . run the XP driver in compatibility mode . . . but, as I said, I coudn't figure out how to get the VM to "see" my downloaded file. It thinks the VM partition, as I'm sure you know, is the only one on the machine. Consequently, I can't navigate or point to the download from W7's explorer or the "update driver" button in the W7 device manager. My sense is that there's an easy solution to this, but I can't think of it right now.

And yes, I did get a product key when I downloaded W7 . . . used it just fine at the end of the install process. Product Activation to verify a license seems kind of silly when distributing a free RC for evaluation.

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@ScottW and Bob,
---
EDIT: I only Build Intel so not that familiar with AMD.
---
If you start down through this huge DB, you'll find Intel does NOT support VT in many, many of its CPUs.
http://processorfinder.intel.com/Default.aspx
---
When you sort the DB, High Light [ Virtual Techonology ] in the large box to get the ones that DO Support VT.
---
It's strange the way there is NO pattern ?!?!
---
Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 4 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Bob, Rick and I are kind of having an orthogonal conversation about XP Mode and virtualization. You can safely ignore us. :)

I have not used VirtualBox, but in VMWare there is a way to mount a Windows folder in the guest OS so that files can be exchanged directly between Windows and the guest OS. There may be a way to do this in VB. There may also be a file transfer tool that does one file at a time.

Posted 4 years ago

BobJam
BobJam

I have no idea how I did it . . . it was the classic "click until you get what you want" stuff, but somehow I got on line.

In fact, I'm posting this right now from IE8 in W7 from my virtual box. One thing that I did, which may have something to do with this . . . I was looking for how to mount a windows folder from my host into this guest. In the virtual box help file, I found a reference about a "VirtualBox Guest Addition" iso file that if mounted as a CD drive in the VM would install drivers to share folders, among other things (it apparently also installed an Ethernet adapter into the VM that worrked).

Anyway, I backed out of this VM and got on the Internet in the host machine and Googled for it. Downloaded an exe close to that name, but it turned out it was a Linux distro file (didn't know that at the time). Ran the .exe and damned if it didn't disable my pointer. Fortunately, the machine still accepted keyboard input. Long story short, I ended up restoring with ERUNT via command line and got my touchpad control back again.

Another long story short, I finally found that the windows version was actually included in the binary download of the VM itself. I found it, pointed to it, and installed this monster.

Also shut this thing down several times, just to make sure my "gift" wasn't a transient thing. It wasn't . . . am on about the fourth restart now, and every time things work fine.

Would write a Wiki on how to do all this, except as I said in the opening, I have no idea how I did it. Oh . . . and one more thing. The feat was even more remarkable since I really don't know my way around this GUI. The VM help is not written for W7, obviously. There was a reference to "My Network Places", and as far as I could tell, there is no such thing in W7 . . . well, maybe there is but it's defnitely under a different name and nothing like the screenshot in VM help.

And I did activate W7. Happy ending to a looooong night.

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!