The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

Vista+XP Dual boot - XP won't load

(5 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by cs
  • Latest reply from skysurfer64
  • Topic Viewed 6230 times

cs

I just installed XP Pro on my Sony Vaio that came with Vista Home Premium preinstalled as a dual boot setup, according to your guide. XP booted fine the first time, and after i installed VistaBootPro Vista booted fine. But, now if I select XP, it says:

Windows failed to start....blahblahblah....
File: \ntldr
Info: The selected entry could not be loaded because the application is missing or corrupt.

I tried repairing the XP installing from the XP disc with fixboot, and got XP to boot again but of course vista disappeared.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Posted 6 years ago

supermansghost
supermansghost

Here's what I'd do:

1) Use VistaBootPro to add vista back in
2) If XP still gives the error, look for ntldr and ntdetect.com in the root of your Vista drive, which is where they might have been moved incorrectly. Copy them into the root of your XP drive instead.

That should resolve the error.

Posted 6 years ago

supermansghost
supermansghost

There's more information here:

http://www.howtogeek.com/forum.....replies=14

Posted 6 years ago

cs

Yup, that did it. Had to un-hide protected system files first, but there they were. Now I just need to find the xp drivers for this piece of...

Thanks for the help!

Posted 6 years ago

skysurfer64

Hey,

Thanks for the info. I followed the instructions, but even though I copied ntldr and ntdetect.com to my XP drive, my laptop still said that the file was missing when I tried to load XP. Does anybody know what I can do? I have an Acer 9410.

Thanks

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!